Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After-market Fairing Wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
CM22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-market Fairing Wiring???

I have a 98' Road King Classic that I am in the process of adding a Reckless Faring to - ( I bought just the shell so there was no wiring or wiring instructions that came with it)

For those who have added an aftermarket fairing to their Road Kings - how did you wire it in?

I have an Alpine head unit, Alpine KTP-445 amp and Polk MM691 6x9's going into the fairing. (I am making a quick disconnect that will be hidden under the headlight assembly)

If I run a fused constant hot to the positive battery post and the grounds to the negative post what do I do with the ACC wire?? Would I splice it into the fused constant going to the positive battery post or run it somewhere else and why???

Also, if someone has a wiring diagram / intruction sheet that came with their pre-assembled fairing that they would be willing to share that would be much appreciated -

Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
CM22
Tourer

Anyone? I know there are a lot of aftermarket fairings on here...

Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Woodys fairng came with a a 3 wire cable tha i ran under my tank panel on my roadking, hot, ground and acc...i ran a fused hot off battery which i will eventually hook up to a switched wire and ran acc seperate to the battery as well...Hd make a acc harness which as a switched hot,ground and constant hot for the acc which is for the radio memory only just havet bought it yet then will change my hookups...i did disconnect the leads for the winter to not have a draw on the batt while storing the bike

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
CM22
Tourer

Originally Posted by mrsnipy
My Woodys fairng came with a a 3 wire cable tha i ran under my tank panel on my roadking, hot, ground and acc...i ran a fused hot off battery which i will eventually hook up to a switched wire and ran acc seperate to the battery as well...Hd make a acc harness which as a switched hot,ground and constant hot for the acc which is for the radio memory only just havet bought it yet then will change my hookups...i did disconnect the leads for the winter to not have a draw on the batt while storing the bike
Thanks for the reply! I'll check out the HD harness ...

Does anyone see a problem with running the acc to the battery without an in-line fuse? I just found a few old post about some that were splicing the acc to the ignition switch under the tank console. Is there any advantage to this?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
KingWalt
Cruiser
Default Wiring Harness

I bought a harness from Dead Center firing and it works perfectly.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
CM22
Tourer

Originally Posted by KingWalt
I bought a harness from Dead Center firing and it works perfectly.
Did you buy it with the fairing or separately? I went to their website and did not find anything.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

the fairing I put on my roadking was a wide open customs and same scenario.

There are a few different ways to get power where you need it but your specific question can be answered by looking at the harness that plugs into your headlight. A few inches back from the headlight on the harness is an orange/white wire that is not used and taped up around the headlight harness. This is accessory.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
CM22
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

There are a few different ways to get power where you need it but your specific question can be answered by looking at the harness that plugs into your headlight. A few inches back from the headlight on the harness is an orange/white wire that is not used and taped up around the headlight harness. This is accessory.
Going to look for it now

Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM
CM22
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

Found it! Thank you!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM
KingWalt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CM22
Did you buy it with the fairing or separately? I went to their website and did not find anything.
I bought it separately. I called them and asked for the harness only and they sold it to me.

Quick Reply: After-market Fairing Wiring???