Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Tensioners at 41,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013 | 10:18 PM
FLHTK_2013
Cruiser

Good info and pictures, thanks!

Old 01-26-2013 | 10:53 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain

great info....its funny how only a small percentage of owners actually experience early failure but if you only read these forums you would think that 90% had failure before 20K miles....

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:00 AM
Splinterman
Stage II

Originally Posted by RPS1981
I just had my TC-88 torn down to have the SE cam tensioner upgrade and big bore kit done. The bike is a 2006 FLHX with 41,000 miles. I thought I would report what I found.

Cam tensioners were barely worn. I measured the wear at .028" and the service manual calls for replacement when wear reaches .090". So they had many, many miles left on them. They did have the usual pitting, but no cracks or chips. Both the front and rear tensioners were worn identically. Pictures below.

I should also mention that every other component of the motor showed minimal wear. Piston skirts, rings, cylinders, lifters, cams and bearings all looked fantastic. I could have left the motor alone and gone 100,000 without a problem.

I know people have reported failures at early mileage, but I must say, based on what I see, this is a stout motor. I ride it aggressively and am not afraid to hit the red line.

I was told by an HD mechanic that the reason there is so much variance in the wear on the cam chain tensioner shoes is due to the fact that when they are manufactured there is no standard spring tension requirement-they are all produced 'as is', with some of them exerting more pressure on the cam chain in use and some of them exerting less pressure.

That would seem to make sense in light of some of these shoes being hardly worn after so many miles and some of them wearing out in just a few. In my 05 Road King I had the originals replaced a few years ago at 27K because the dealer had to replace some faulty valve seals that were leaking, so I had him do the cam chain shoes as insurance then, and they were about 1/3 worn through with a bit of pitting just like in the above pics. I've been using Amsoil synthetic since the bike was purchased new.

At 37K I had him do the cams and camplate upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners and there was barely ANY wear on the second set of old spring-type tensioners.

Old 01-27-2013 | 11:03 AM
littled62
Tourer

Originally Posted by RPS1981
Just never know until you get in there.

Hey, my wife and I did Route 66 to the Grand Canyon this summer. Great trip.
Yes it is, we started in Chicago and rode all the way to Santa Monica when we came back we went up thru Darango, Co. and up the Silver Hy. one of the best trips we have ever done and want to do it again, maybe next year, I know we missed a lot on the way, rode with a buddy and his wife from high school, we've both had bikes then but he has never done more than a 500 mile trip, so after the 3rd or 4th day his wife started getting a little CRANKIE, at one point my wife said "lets just leave them" I didn't