Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
Zion is 100% spot on.

Now that you've filled in the details, I'm fairly certain you are getting into ABS on the front, then backing out of your brake application, likely because you "feel something wrong". You're ending up with pretty decent braking, but you're practicing a bad habit; so lets try to get you on a better path.

As Zion pointed out, the key to properly applying the front brake is to slow it down enough to allow the motor's weight to transfer. If you grab the front brake, the stopping force to the front wheel is applied when roughly half the machine's weight is on the front tire. It's very easy for the brakes - especially the Brembo brakes, which are extremely powerful - to transmit more stopping force that the friction between the tire and road can use. If you don't have ABS, this results in a locked-wheel skid. If you do have ABS, it activates.

So, the answer is to slow down the application ever so slightly. This is done with the "squeeze and progress" technique. Initially squeeze the lever. There is no "magic amount", which is why you have to practice. This initial "squeeze" causes the motorcycle's weight to transfer forward. With very little practice you will feel this occur. Then you "progress" your squeeze, increasing the brake's transmission of stopping force. This is the most efficient way to get the motorcycle stopped. It's also the correct technique whether your machine has ABS or not. On the newer Harleys, with the Brembo brakes, you will really know when you're braking well, because you will feel your own weight transfer forward. Braked properly the newer Touring models will stop far better than most riders would believe.

Mind you, the "squeeze and progress" is still a rapid application of the brakes. It's just that you consciously take steps to make the machine do what you want. This is why it's "threshold" braking, not "panic" braking. You practice, and then use your skills to take the stopping force to the threshold of friction available on whatever your road surface is.

It is tempting - on a motor equipped with ABS - to forgo proper braking, and just let the ABS do the work. However, that will not get you stopped nearly as quickly as proper braking. Considering the whole point of this type of braking is to avoid colliding with a suddenly present obstacle (I'm looking at you soccer mom making a left turn in front of a motorcycle) it only stands to reason you want to do all you can to stop in the absolute shortest possible distance.

I've posted this video before, but it really fits in with this exact topic. The motor nearer the camera is stopped using the "squeeze and progress" method, and ABS does not activate. The far motor's rider makes no attempt to brake correctly, and instead simply "grabs a handful of brake". By snapping on the brakes that way, he doesn't allow any weight transfer to take place. Therefore ABS activates immediately. You can see how much that increases the stopping distance (it helps to watch the video in full screen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wqq...k7YPjryWXNeRmQ

What it sounds like you're doing is snapping the front on, and consequently getting ABS, then backing out, but not all the way, thus getting into better braking. There are two problems with that. One is - as we've discussed - it's not very efficient. Two is that you're training yourself to back off if you activate ABS. If ABS does activate, the rider's best course at that point is to keep pulling on the lever, and let the ABS handle the stop.

In training we teach operators to handle front ABS activation like a locked-wheel skid on a non-ABS motor; that is to "release immediately and properly re-apply". However, that is strictly because we're working to build proper skills. On the street, if ABS engages, let it do it's thing. Now as I often say (and sometimes upset people by saying) if a rider activates ABS he has made a braking error. If ABS activates, you would have locked a wheel without ABS. A locked wheel is a braking error. ABS just makes it so you can think about how you could improve your braking at leisure, and without the expensive or painful outcome that a skid often results in.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
Harris, fantastic teaching post. I can easily change my braking technique based on your description and next time (and from now on) will practice the correct way. It makes so much sense with your explanation. Also, I really appreciate your time to go into such detail.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

If anyone wants and does not have it, you can get my (free of course) booklet Motor Lessons. I added a chapter on ABS brakes last summer.

Just email me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

and I'll send you the PDF.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by motorlessons
If anyone wants and does not have it, you can get my (free of course) booklet Motor Lessons. I added a chapter on ABS brakes last summer.

Just email me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

and I'll send you the PDF.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
I have received the booklet from Harris and would recommend it to everyone. I am about half way thru the 44 page booklet and have gleaned a lot of fantastic safety information and defensive riding advice. I know it is going to make me a more observant and vigilant rider. Thanks Harris for offering your years of experience to all of us on this forum.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

At the end of September I grabbed a fistful of front brake. The bike went down immediately. I broke a knee and tore an ACL. My wife has a broken ankle. We both had serious road rash and my bike is messed up. I appreciate the lesson on using the brakes but in real life panic situations I really wonder if a person has time to react properly. I know I didn't and I've been riding for 40+ years. I've been shopping ABS bikes of which I suddenly am a firm believer.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM
motorlessons
Tourer

Originally Posted by springer 03
At the end of September I grabbed a fistful of front brake. The bike went down immediately. I broke a knee and tore an ACL. My wife has a broken ankle. We both had serious road rash and my bike is messed up. I appreciate the lesson on using the brakes but in real life panic situations I really wonder if a person has time to react properly. I know I didn't and I've been riding for 40+ years. I've been shopping ABS bikes of which I suddenly am a firm believer.
I suspect your concern is shared by everyone, especially if they've never had a real emergency arise.

The truth is that you will revert to your level of training in an emergency. This is true in many activities. If your only training was the MSF course 15 years ago, you really don't have a skill set to draw upon. I can't begin to count how many times I've run threshold braking exercises in training. Surely several thousand. On the street I've only had to use that skill a few times. I can attest to this, when it comes up you will NOT be thinking about how you are reacting, you will simply be doing what you've trained to do and practiced.

Unfortunately for most riders, they revert to car techniques. If you lock up the brakes on a car, you skid to a stop. It's not the most efficient way to stop, but it will work in most occasions. Of course on a motor (without ABS) a skid is liable to result in an accident, even if no other object is struck.

As motorcyclists we NEED to have skills that we don't need as car drivers. Often we are reminded of all the things we give up - in terms of safety - when we move from a car to a motor. We are not as visible, we have no enclosure to protect us in case of a collision, and we're on a vehicle that - left otherwise alone - will fall over on its side. However, we also have significant advantages. A motorcycle's smaller size allows more options to avoid a collision. A motorcycle - braked correctly -will stop faster than a car. Motorcycles have greater acceleration than cars (generally). And a motorcycle can make turns far tighter than a car. The important thing is, to take advantage of those items that are benefits on the motorcycle, the rider MUST have the skills. If one doesn't, he accepts all the negatives, and gains none of the positives.

If you develop the skills to ride well, I promise they will be there when an emergency arises. Of course none of us want those tests to come up, but it is certainly satisfying to come through a tricky situation and realize it wasn't just luck that got you through, but your own preparation. Mind you, I want luck as well, but as with so many things luck favors those who don't depend on it.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 01-28-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Abs.

ohhhh....**** you meant antilock brakes. my bad

Attached Thumbnails Abs-mmmm.jpg   Abs-elaine_alden_female_fitness_model-bestwallpaper3.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
Abs.

ohhhh....**** you meant antilock brakes. my bad
Yes, after I posted I realized what the letters would look like. One thing I can say about your post, if I has those Abs in the house I wouldn't have to worry about the ABS on the bike since I would be inside all the time. Although I would not be putting the brakes on.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
Yes, after I posted I realized what the letters would look like. One thing I can say about your post, if I has those Abs in the house I wouldn't have to worry about the ABS on the bike since I would be inside all the time. Although I would not be putting the brakes on.
yeah the grey bra chick is my desktop background...id make sure she was walking funny all the time

and just remember - no matter how hot they are, some guy, some where is sick of her ****!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
I went down on Saturday night and dislocated a shoulder. I was coming up the driveway of my apartment complex, and a car ahead stopped cold for a speed bump. I applied the brakes, but apparently the wheels were over a patch of crack sealer, and to my horror, the bike went down, slamming my elbow into the pavement. Of course, there's plenty of damage to the bike, as well.

The IIHS is a firm believer in motorcycle ABS and I have faith in their opinion.