Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise after big bore install, help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
heavyd460
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very curious to see how this works out......my money is on valve guide

Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I just completed the tear down and in the process of boxing everything up. Heads, cylinders and pistons all look great. Only indication of a problem is the amount of carbon on the pistons and I believe Jamie hit it on the head, I believe my problem all along has been the tune, or lack of. I'm still going to send everything back to FM for inspection but mainly just to prepare everything for reassembly. My thanks to Jamie and the crew at FM for your support...Now, my only question is do I nix this RP EMS system and fork up the funds for a ThunderMax, leaning towards the TM.......

Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyd460
Very curious to see how this works out......my money is on valve guide
Im going to have to say, not even close. I will put my money on tune!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
As I noted by far the biggest question may be the tune itself, this is a critical element of the build. Unfortunately with the Rev EMS because of its design and strategy we are not able to look at the tune or make any necessary adjustments and for instance a factory 96" and 107" build have absolutely different requirements tune wise. Is it rich? is it lean? does it have too much or not enough timing? Since it needs to learn for a give combination what state of tune was it in when the motor was initially started after the build and during break in. These are all valid questions and can make or break a build.
Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Only indication of a problem is the amount of carbon on the pistons and I believe Jamie hit it on the head, I believe my problem all along has been the tune, or lack of.
So does this mean that after you completed the 107 build you didn't have a new tune done? or doesn't the RP EMS require that? Not familiar with how those work but the website did say the ECM doesn't need changed if the displacement change was less than 20%

Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.... I say tuner. or ?? stuck injector. Thats a lot of carbon in 700 miles. As for rings, ...your there....place a new set in and lightly hone the cylinder. For the cost of gaskets that you will have to buy again if you dont buy a ring set...you'll kick yourself if you dont.

I just built a FM 107 using my ported and bigger valve heads, Woods TW- 777 cams, PC III and a FM map.....no problems at all and it runs great!

Last edited by timberland; 02-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
I'm taking the head down to my local indy this morning and having the guide's inspected. I also spoke with Jamie this morning and he believes I definitely have a bad tune condition. I'm running Revolution Performance EMS and after a discussion with Andrew at RP I will need to send in my ECM for a recalibration. Unfortunately their hardware is down and they have no idea when it will be up and running. Soon I hope, very soon.....Keep yea posted on the head
Since Rev Perf wanted my ECM back after I installed SE255 cams, I'm almost positive they have to flash your ECM to get the tune right for your 107 build. I would have waited to get that done before removing everything but that's just me. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
tdd77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the RP ems and plan on doing a s&s build in the near future. They told me when I do that it will need to be recalibrated because of cam's,I will only be going from 88" to 95".

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Thanks for the comments...I sent my ECM back to Andrew at Rev. Perf. today, it should have been recalibrated before the initial start. I was also aware that if the displacement change was less than 20% I didn't have to much to worry about, guess that's not always the case. Anyway, he'll adjust my tune, Jamie will clean up my mess and I'll be riding again before spring, all good........Thanks everyone

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you take any pictures of the rear cylinder? How far did you tear it back down?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Problem solved! All caused by a bad tune......
After I disassembled everything, I sent the cylinders, pistons and heads back to Jamie.. It was pretty apparent I had a lubrication problem, or lack of. After Jamie inspected my parts, it was determined that the tune was running so rich, it was washing the oil right off the cylinders. I removed the pistons at 1200 miles, they and the cylinders were done. The problem was with the Revolution Performance EMS. That systems is now gone. Jamie provided me with a ThunderMax and a entirely new 107" kit, bike is back together and running flawlessly. I can't thank Jamie and the crew at FuelMoto enough.
My lesson from this...How important that initial tune really is!

Quick Reply: Engine noise after big bore install, help