Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outlaw Low Profile Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
MayDay607
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's no BS. I got this letter today. I'm guessing they got the list of addresses from where you bought them. Leatherup.com in my case. No plans on sending it back though, it says DOT on it. That's enough to keep the cops satisfied. I only wish i had bought a second one.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I really like the way they look but like a half helmet, they don't look like they'd protect much, if at all.
I don't think Outlaw was really fooling anyone. All of us that bought them had to suspect that they weren't REALLY compliant with the DOT requirements. But they are small, lightweight and have the DOT sticker under the clearcoat and on the inside label which means that those of us in states requiring DOT helmets can get away with wearing one. I wear mine on back roads in the summer, when it's hot and where--if I lived in a non-helmet state--I'd probably be doing without. I haven't received the letter, but I'll undoubtedly keep mine, with no delusions about what it will and won't protect.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Had a feelin' and bought two, glossy and matte carbon fiber. I wear and like them both as well as my other helmets. Thanks but i will be keeping mine.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

IF you want to order one through EBAY, here's the link to a seller who has the matte and glossy versions (with the newer TG500XX part numbers; that's what they were being sold as at LeatherUp.com when they were 'back in stock')... get 'em while you can!

I just ordered up a Glossy version to go with the Matte version I got from LeatherUp this summer. And no, if I get the letter (when/if I get one; the NHTSA recall campaign references the AX-300XX part numbers) I won't be returning mine.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not seen any letters yet but I will be keeping mine also never thought it was DOT to thin of a liner.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the recall and they can have mine. Didn't like it anyway. It was plenty light weight but was hot in warm weather and I couldn't stand to wear it with out a wind shield. The straps made way too much noise.
Billy

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All of these helmets are just cheap lids that probably cost the retailers $5 bucks to buy from China. Then add some terms like “Carbon Fiber” and put some varnish over it and charge even more. Kingsford charcoal is made of “carbonfiber”. If you are seriously interested in really protecting your nogg’n, then you’ll need to go out and spend $300 on some serious headware. And even then, who knows how much that will help.

The whole point of all this “low profile” marketing is for those of us wholive in **** helmet law states to have a lightweight and comfortable helmet option that has one major primary function which is……….. the stickers necessaryto appease the State Revenue Patrol.

A much cheaper way to get the exact same results is to just buy a cheap assDOT half helmet for $29 bucks from Leatherup... Just make sure to buy one that's two sizes too small. Then invert the helmet onto a pillow or pad so it'supside down and won't get scratched up. Then take any rounded object (like the barrelend of a baseball bat) and go around the whole liner (which is just cheap ChineseStyrofoam anyway) and compress the entire 1inch thick padding down to ½ or 3/8 in. Viola....A fully DOT approved worhless helmet with all the appropriate stickers and minus the mushroom effect.

Bottom line is that the government does not give a **** about yourhealth. They just want your money. One word. Cigarettes. $7 a pack. $5 of it is tax.

Sorry about the rant…. Phew.. Feelbetter now..

BTW… Join ABATE!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

If they want my Low Profile back they will have to pry it from my cold dead hand. Or whatever Heston said.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my letter a couple of days ago. They really don't say why it's being recalled. It says that during the testing it failed at least one of the four following. Impact attenuation, impact penetration, interior labeling, or impact retention. Which one who knows. Keeping mine .

Quick Reply: Outlaw Low Profile Helmet