Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging again...like riding 2 different bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say it's heat. I've read a lot about this and it keeps coming back to heat.
I do have a head fan unit from a member on this forum. Was gonna wait till summer to write a review but I can tell you it lowers head temps dramatically
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that solved your problem.
Best of luck

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ Like they said^^^^^

I get pinging sometimes now with certain types of gas..

I use 93 too

Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
.."accelerator pump" feature on the PCV does nothing for slow revving V-Twins, (except waste gas). The best position on that is "off". It is only useful for high revving sport bikes..it doesn't shoot a burst of gas in on a fuel injected bike... sounds to me like your issue is related to heat....

Yeah the old Linkert and S&S B guys said the same thing when AMF and S&S came out with accelerator pumps on their next generation Super carbs.

To each his own, I run a leaner MAP overall and compensate for ping experienced at throttle twist by enabling the accelerator pump option

Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Roger Rimshot
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you're talking about ping and not valve train rattle. My 103 Ultra will rattle at 2500-3000+ RPM after it warms up. Its a random noise, and sounds like the ball in a can of spray paint when shaken. It hasn't gotten worse, but it is irritating, since it sounds like something is loose in the valve train.
I'm waiting for the day some wise mechanic can accurately diagnose this problem

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
... As far as timing tables, where would I start if that is the course of action?...
Here's a copy of my timing table. I got to this by removing 1 degree at a time, in the problem areas, until the ping was gone. I did the test runs on a stretch of road and at temperatures (90+) where the pinging was always prevalent... A worst case scenario kind of test.

You'll notice primarily 2 degree changes in the cruise range gradually increasing up to 4 degrees at WOT and higher RPM.

I'm not suggesting that my timing curve is what you need although you could try it. I'm presenting this simply to explain my methodology and to show the results. This is what was necessary for my bike, my conditions, my fuel, etc., to completely eliminate the pinging.

Attached Thumbnails Pinging again...like riding 2 different bikes-ignition-timing-table-2-to-4-.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

It really sounds like you have an issue that originates because of heat building up in the engine, which is quite normal. Very few people complain of pinging in a cold climate. So, because you have a fuel management device installed, that is where I would look for a change.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Yeah the old Linkert and S&S B guys said the same thing when AMF and S&S came out with accelerator pumps on their next generation Super carbs.

To each his own, I run a leaner MAP overall and compensate for ping experienced at throttle twist by enabling the accelerator pump option
....ya..ya..I was runnin B's in the mid 70's..the Super E was the carb to have..and yes, you could see the squirt..these "accelerator" pump features don't do squat...turn it on..turn it off..doesn't change much..if a bike is properly tuned on a dyno..it doesn't/shouldn't need more gas...

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My tune from fm was agressive for my location,(hi dez) had to ritchen it up and back out the timing a little at a time, keep playing with the pcv you'll get it.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
....ya..ya..I was runnin B's in the mid 70's..the Super E was the carb to have..and yes, you could see the squirt..these "accelerator" pump features don't do squat...turn it on..turn it off..doesn't change much..if a bike is properly tuned on a dyno..it doesn't/shouldn't need more gas...
In today's global environment with lean product development and implementation of the lowest cost product to meet the product specification - We eliminate non-essential features. Funny how the Super E grew into the Super G and today after over 30 years we stuill have accelerator pumps in our V-Twin carburator applications. I do know many that used the old B and had excellent tunes, all went to Super E if they could afford the change, and the only change was the addition of the accelerator pump feature.

I am sure you can dyno tune out anything, i don't have a dyno, I tune by the seat of my pants the same way I tuned the B's and E's of my past, and i use the accelerator pump function of my PCV to eleminate ping at throttle twist therefore providing the opportunity to run an overall leaner map. Works for me