Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM
mrbreezehd1
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft 02
I think you meant .089 .890 is almost an inch.
Fixed that error, thnx again...

Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the DK Custom 587 high flow AC. I tried the breather bolts but still got misting at highway speeds. I then ordered the DK Custom hose and filter kit. I removed the filter and replaced with a brass T fitting running a single line to the ground. This system seems to be working pretty well so far. Yesterday I rode the highway for 200 miles at about 70 mph. The only thing I noticed was just a touch of oil around the front fitting where the bolt goes through. I used the ratchet clamps that were provided with the kit. I could have swore I had them tight when I installed them. I discovered when I checked the one where there was a touch of oil it wasn't completely tight. Is it possible the clamp could have loosened from engine vibration? I wouldn't think a ratchet clamp would loosen up but I really don't know. I am hoping I just didn't get the clamp tight enough to begin with and this solves the problem. I haven't had this much aggravation with an oil leak since my first car a 1966 Corvair. It would blow oil through the lower body grill and I would carry a rag constantly wiping it off.

Attached Thumbnails Oil everywhere-p1030662.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

No prob but a 1" hole would drain well! I drilled mine as well and up graded the breathers inside and out. Cruzing at 80 all day and I dont even get a mist out of the breathers. That plus getting rid of the K&N should help prevent carbon build up in the combustion chamber.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
mrbreezehd1
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft 02
No prob but a 1" hole would drain well! I drilled mine as well and up graded the breathers inside and out. Cruzing at 80 all day and I dont even get a mist out of the breathers. That plus getting rid of the K&N should help prevent carbon build up in the combustion chamber.
Good to know, thnx...and "Speed Safely"

Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I fixed my oil dripping issue with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, the one with the metal tubes.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After installing an SE AC and when using any open air filter cover, mine puked a lot both at stock displacement/cams and after installing S&S's 106 BB kit and 551 cams, with (20w50) oil at or above 1/2 way on dip stick. When I switched to AC covers that are open on the back, such as the football or S&S's v/ cool "Airstream" (see sig pic) http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...ck-p25462.html, I got much less on the saddle bag, but only because the oil was collecting inside the cover. Still, I got some on the bag, but waaaay less. Drove me nuts.

I now have switched to the Cobra "PowerFlow" (see attached pic) http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...012733&Ntk=All. Puking is finally no longer ending up on my bag (it's going in motor). I believe this is because the PF has an internal routing of blowby gasses that dumps in the venturi, plus there's a full backing plate.

I bought the PF for another reason: I am bugged by systems that pull heated air off the motor and the PF definitely solves that problem. For example, on hot days the football or Airstream covers would get v/ hot to the touch while the PF cover gets v/v/ cool to the touch. In fact, when I ride the cover cools off to the point of chilly.

I'm not always sold on the look of the rather large PF, but it resolves puking and it pulls only cool air. These are big points. Plus the filter has a built in cone and the venturi is well done, and the thing is made by one of our neighbors.

Regarding sucking all that oil into my motor. Ugh. You shoulda seen the tops of my old pistons. Personally, however, I'm not willing to dump oil mist into the atmosphere and I don't like the look of catch cans. So, I've been thinking of doing head work and this has become the deciding factor. I'm going to do head work next and while the heads are off I'll enlarge the drain holes. Don't yet know enough about the refernced "butterfly valves," but maybe I'll fool with those as well.

Hope this helps.

Read Kevin/DK's post on this https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...oil-level.html. Good info.

Attached Thumbnails Oil everywhere-img_20131110_122638_299.jpg