Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Reduced Reach Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
mcubedMc
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Reduced Reach Bars

I have a 2003 Road King Classic. I am attempting to change the stock bars to the reduced reach bars. The wiring harness is supposed to run "inside" the new bars, whereas it was routed outside on stock.

Can someone tell me how to get the friggin' wiring harness inside the bars without taking any connectors off? I can't figure this crap out to save my soul! Don't want to pay for three hours labor to the dealer! And instructions suck!!

Mcubed

Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Road King Reduced Reach Bars

Well, I think you're going to have to remove the connectors in order to fish the wires through the bars. You should be able to use a nail punch or toothpick to pop the individual wires from the connector (be sure to mark which wire comes from what plug). That looked like such a pain (and the entire harness needed to be lengthened on my '07), that I let the dealer contend with it. As I stood beside him and watched for the first hour, I figured that $78/hour X 3 hours was worth not having to do it myself.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
mcubedMc
Stage III

Thanks so much PJ! I was afraid of that. It states in the instruction sheet, specifically NOT to remove the wires from the connectors, but that is contrary to common sense. The connectors will not go through the bars.

I appreciate your reply. I am going to call the dealer today and ask the service folks about it. If they contend as you do, then I will most likely bite the labor and let them do it as well. Why on earth do they make things so hard?

Again, thanks for the input. Peace and ride safe!

Michael

Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
PsycleFreak
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this link out. Not the same bars but good directions on the rest of it. http://www.bikernet.com/roadkingrepo...Article=122002 Scroll about half way down and it shows ya how to deal with the plugs and pins. Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
reefteach
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PsycleFreak

Check this link out. Not the same bars but good directions on the rest of it. http://www.bikernet.com/roadkingrepo...Article=122002 Scroll about half way down and it shows ya how to deal with the plugs and pins. Hope this helps.
I used that site when I put on the reduced reach bars. It helped bunches!! sure it took me a week, off and on, to finish the job, but it was satifying. If you screw it up, it is easy to fix. For example, when I put it all together, I pushed the horn button, but the left turn signal came on. HAHAHAHAAH. Easy enough to fix, just switched the wires. No damage done. I youdon'tlike DIY, and prefer to pay $$$ to the dealer for a professional job, go ahead.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I did it and and love the end result.

Can't beat these instructions.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

Old 02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can definitely do it yourself, it's really no big deal. Make a little diagram of the harness before removing the pins. It took me longer than the dealer, about 10 hours, but that included removing the nacelle, bars off then on, and switching my brake, clutch, and throttle cables to braided stainless, oh and replacing my grips and chroming the controls. While you have it apart you may want to see if there is anything else you want to take care of in that area.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
GenoRKng
Advanced

I just took up close digital photos of the connectors so I knew where to put them back.
Took less time.

The hard part for me ws figuring out the routing of the throttle cables so they didn't bind and didn't rub along the tank on RH lock-to-lock.

Good luck, and just enjoy doing it yourself and bonding with your bike.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
mcubedMc
Stage III

Hey everyone,

Great big cudo's to you all for being so helpful. All of the comments will prove to be so invaluable. I am convinced now that I know how to disassemble the connectors without mucking **** up, I am ready to proceed.

You all are great, and this is a great web site.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

simple job - if you have not already got the service manual - get it - you will use it alot - in there is a wiring diag. - all wires are color coded and very easy to follow - so easy a cave man could do it....