Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy RKC Bag design rips into top of bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Crappy RKC Bag design rips into top of bags

If you've got on newer FLHRC you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm trying to come up with a solution that will allow me to remove the limiters on the tops of the bags so that I can open the bags all the way and not damage the tops of the bags.

Initially, I thought putting felt pads on the bolts would prevent the damage...wrong. Then I thought that I could exchange to bolts on the bike with something that is much flatter to stop the damage when opening the bags - I have not tried this one yet. Then I thought that putting spacers behind the bags that would lean them out further to avoid this. But putting spacers on the bags, I think, will make them lean out too far.

While either one or both of these solutions may be the answer, I looking for your thoughts/solutions to this relatively simple problem. I've got some time to figure this out as 2* outside won't really let me get on this right away.

Pleas let me know what you've done and pics would be great!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM
alcalder1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2010 RKC and have the same problem.

I got some rubber caps from the hardware store and squeezed them on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not HD knows about this issue and they made a part that takes care of this 100%. It cost about $20 and it consist of two hinges. You have to drill out the rivets to the rear hinge on each bag. Install the new hinge that prevents the bag from over opening. It also contains two new rubber spacers where the bag mounting pins are, these will push out the bag about 1/4 away from the fender. Ask the parts guy about it and they will know exactly that you need.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 4 point docking hardware and as you can see the bags are still in great shape.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Originally Posted by 103megawatt
Believe it or not HD knows about this issue and they made a part that takes care of this 100%. It cost about $20 and it consist of two hinges. You have to drill out the rivets to the rear hinge on each bag. Install the new hinge that prevents the bag from over opening. It also contains two new rubber spacers where the bag mounting pins are, these will push out the bag about 1/4 away from the fender. Ask the parts guy about it and they will know exactly that you need.
Interesting! Ill get in touch to see if there's something new that I have not heard of for this...the only fix I knew about was just putting the limiters on and not being able to fully open the bags.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Originally Posted by 103megawatt
I have the 4 point docking hardware and as you can see the bags are still in great shape.

I've got the 4 point hardware and that is what hits. I'm assuming that you have this kit on your bike for your bags to be in that good of shape. Do you have a part number that I'd be able to use?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2012 RKC and haven't noticed what your describing...I'm thinking they must have fixed it by 2012?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I have a 2012 RKC and haven't noticed what your describing...I'm thinking they must have fixed it by 2012?
Mine is a 2012 FLHRC and it's the 4 point docking hardware that'll do it to you.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Ahhh I see....The mounts for the deatachable hardware?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
alcalder1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 RKC also has the 4 point Docking set up and the tops of th bags look like crap where they hit.

Quick Reply: Crappy RKC Bag design rips into top of bags