Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy RKC Bag design rips into top of bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had that issue with my '09 RKC. I installed the kit, only downside is it does not allow the lids to open completely.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by mmcbeat; 01-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh yeah, hell even on my 2000 rk with the rk custom bags and the 4 point dicking hardware the tops of the bags get beat up... this is compounded by having teenage daughters that ride with me and just flip the bags open in a most not careful way. heh

Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, now that my 4 point docking hardware has buggered up my bag lids, HD comes out with a protective measure so the bags do not get hit by the hardware....Really?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddy got that kit and removed it the next day, he could hardly open the bags up to get in. He talked me out of buying them. I hope your kit works better.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I just took the docking kit off and when I want/need the trunk I bolt it on. It's 6 little bolts. Course I always ride solo so the rear seat & sissy bar/back rest are never an issue. (Need to sell the rack and docking hardware)

Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The kit stinks, Really limits how far the bag opens.

There are magnetic caps that HD sales, about $25-$35 a pair that help protect the bags, they are not as harsh on the bags as Allen bolts.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

The bags are flexible, just push the part of the lid that contacts the screw out & away from it as you open them. Clears nicely. Problem is, you gotta remember to do it every time you open the bag. Don't let any chicks open the bags without instructing them as to the proper procedure. My GF has been well versed in this.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Turns out that limiter kit is to one that I have on my bike right now. I thought that it was something different, but nope. The restricter plates on the back is precisely what I want to remove, but I don't want to screw up the bags. This fix really sucks because the limited amount your able to open open the bags.

Looks like I'm back to square one on this.

Still looking for your thoughts and creative mods to how you have or could work this out.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM
ontwowheels77
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 103megawatt
Believe it or not HD knows about this issue and they made a part that takes care of this 100%. It cost about $20 and it consist of two hinges. You have to drill out the rivets to the rear hinge on each bag. Install the new hinge that prevents the bag from over opening. It also contains two new rubber spacers where the bag mounting pins are, these will push out the bag about 1/4 away from the fender. Ask the parts guy about it and they will know exactly that you need.
I purchased and installed one of the hinges. Not only was it quite difficult to install, it restricted the opening of the lid significantly. Basically would not open enough to be useful for everyday use. I removed the HD fix and returned it to stock. The 4 point docking set up for the quick release back rest and luggage rack works pretty good. Over time the leather is going to wear where the lid touches the magnetic docking cover, but with proper leather treatment and care it will work. Leather is going to take a beating simply by road debris, you can't change that. It is what it is...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Add a few washers to rear bracket support.
Pushes and leans rear of bag away.
Same can be done to front.

Quick Reply: Crappy RKC Bag design rips into top of bags