Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells like burning oil?Finally updated 6/12

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Smells like burning oil?Finally updated 6/12

Ever since I had the 5k service, I've smelled burning oil. I don't see any oil. I was also down 1/2 qt. after 500mi. It usually doesn't even use that much between service(2500 mi.) Whassup? Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Smells like burning oil?

Look at the exhaust at night with some lights behind the bike and see if you can see smoke. All though your's shouldn't have, it could have ended up with the bad valve seals from the '05s in it.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I'll look at it, thanks

Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem. Discovered a slight seal leak in the primary to the crankcase. Looked under the bike and oil was all over on the primary side under the bike, blowing on the muffler on the left side.

Apparently bike had to much oil, 4 1/2 + qts. Changed oil and filter put in four quarts and no more leak or oil smell, guess oil is now below the seal.

I was checking my oil before the bike was real hot (210-230 degree oil temp) andwas adding a small amount of oil each time, and overfilling it.

I now check it cold and it is exactly halfway on the stick.....4 quarts cold!!! Level staying the same for 5000 miles! No more oil smell or oil leaking. I scribed a notch at the halfway mark on the stick to allow easier reading.

It's hard to check properly when hot. Hot is not always as hot as it needs to be to get a proper reading, and the oil level will show low, you add oil thinking it is at the proper temp when it's not at at least 210-230 degree oil temp, therefore overfilling. You will never get the proper reading unless the oil has reached 210-230 degrees. The bike takes exactally four quarts cold with filter change.

I think we just did this same discussion a few post ago,anyway sorry for the long post, but it worked for me, wanted to pass along my wealth of knowledge, or my $.02 worth however you look at it.

SteveO

Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I went for a ride Saturday and my eyes were stinging from the oil smell it was so bad. So I stopped at the Dealer to have it looked at. Tech said, "yeah, it's not right" Said there was a problem with the valves on some 06's and to bring it in Wednesday and they would check it out. Also said that the synthetic oil is crap for the mild climate in Ca. and that it would be better to run 50 wt. On Wed. they are going to replace the synthetic with 50 wt. while it's there for no charge. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
yoopermjm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the 50 weight a synthetic oil?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

No, it's REAL oil. My understanding is that the synthetic is too thin and meant for "high revving" engines and HD just makes alot of money on the synthetic. That's why they push it.Might be good for a colder climate.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like another oil debate could start!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
yoopermjm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was only wondering because Mobil makes a 20-50 vis synthetic that I was thinking of running instead of Harley's more expensive syn. Not trying to start anyone up here.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

You're right. Just did a search. There's too much info on oil. I don't want to debate the oil issue. I'll just keep you informed on MY oil issue and what I find. If anyone wants, they can look here https://www.hdforums.com/m_163491/tm.htm
to find out more about oil

The following users liked this post:
Jorge Nolasco (07-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Smells like burning oil?Finally updated 6/12