Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle rpms speed and throttle not snapping back to baseline

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
how to reset---as posted #2

mike
Thanks Mike but what about fabrik8's post who said this does not work on TBW. He said disregard the advice. I am not questioning your recs but just want to make sure this is what I should do. Really appreciate your help.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fab was talking about post 3, go and do post 2 and report back.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
Thanks. I am pretty sure I didn't have my hand on the grip when I turned off the run button. If I did and this screwed up the "sensor or however it works"; now that the bike has sat all night will it "re-set" (idle speed and throttle grip) on its own? I do have a little forward play of the throttle grip which apparently there should be.
Yes the throttle should roll forward. To reset the sensor make sure the switch is in the run position and turn the ignition on for about 10 seconds then off for about 10 seconds, repeat 3 times, that will reset the sensor.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by dougbk
Yes the throttle should roll forward. To reset the sensor make sure the switch is in the run position and turn the ignition on for about 10 seconds then off for about 10 seconds, repeat 3 times, that will reset the sensor.
Will do. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain

Its real easy to blip the throttle before killing which leads to throwing the calibration out of whack. I have done this a few times and the procedure works to fix it. Now I turn off the bike thru the ignition switch.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by BIGVTWIN
Its real easy to blip the throttle before killing which leads to throwing the calibration out of whack. I have done this a few times and the procedure works to fix it. Now I turn off the bike thru the ignition switch.

A big thank you to each and everyone who posted. It was in the 60's today so I took the bike out. I performed the steps recommended by all of you before going out and it worked like a charm. I practiced all my slow speed maneuverers/exercises again today, so I was shutting down the bike often to let it cool down during the slow maneuvers practice. I turned it off every time with the ignition switch and the idle speed was always spot on each time I started her back up. I think follow-up posts are very important when advice is given on this forum and it works. Hopefully someone else will benefit from my situation and your solution for me. Thanks again, you guys rock.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
Thanks Mike but what about fabrik8's post who said this does not work on TBW. He said disregard the advice. I am not questioning your recs but just want to make sure this is what I should do. Really appreciate your help.
My bad, I posted in haste, I actually made a recommendation for cable controls and then deletec it, not challenging anybody elses suggestions, sorry bout any confusion.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
My bad, I posted in haste, I actually made a recommendation for cable controls and then deletec it, not challenging anybody elses suggestions, sorry bout any confusion.
No problem. I appreciate your willingness to provide input. Again, thanks everyone.