Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio head unit???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
bowtiepwr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio head unit???

Hello,
I was looking to replace the factory radio head unit and speakers, but not sure if I should go the "marine" units since the head units are exposed to the elements.
I'm interseted in the Sony DSXS310BTX Digital Media Receiver with Pandora Stream.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You may want to post this question in the audio section. There is a guy Ultranutz that has a ton of knowledge and just recently put the sony 310 in his ultra.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Even the marine units are not water proof, if you change from factory you'll have to be mindful either way. For thr price of the marine units and for them not to be water proof I decided to just go with a cheaper version and see how long it lasts. Lots of threads on the subject, thats what helped me make my choice but in the end its your money and if you think its worth the extra $100-$200 for a marine unit than go for it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

There is also a theory the marine ones are easier to read? I know my kenwood is impossible to read in many sunlite conditions. Don't usually care with the flash drive on shuffle. Wish I had gotten bluetooth. It has held up for 10,000 miles, 7 months, but I don't ride much in the rain anymore.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-24-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered the DSX210s (no blue tooth), I don't care about it not being water proof. I found it on sale for $120, I'll take my chances.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Intensefab
Cruiser

I've got that head unit and it's great! I agree with the fact that marine units are not water proof, get a splash guard and be careful.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiepwr
Hello,
I was looking to replace the factory radio head unit and speakers, but not sure if I should go the "marine" units since the head units are exposed to the elements.
I'm interseted in the Sony DSXS310BTX Digital Media Receiver with Pandora Stream.
Using that very same unit now, and its a great system used hawg wired HSA470 radio install kit. Installed last spring no problems and I ride in the rain, but I'm very careful when washing the bike, also be forewarned that its a bit difficult to see in bright sun. But when I'm streaming Pandora from my phone who care don't need to see the readout just let it play

Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Lifetimelifter
Banned

Alpine is my choice. Good info on stereos at www.custombaggerforum.com

Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I wouldn't concern myself with whether or not the headunit is "marine" and the reason being it's simply a line of crap to sell you something at a higher price for less functionality. I can show you just as many dead "marine" radio threads in various forums (boat and motorcycle) as there are "non-marine". It all boils down to common sense when putting in an aftermarket headunit.

Get what you want, just don't spray it down with the water hose and when it starts raining cover it up with something like the biketronics rainshield.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
There is also a theory the marine ones are easier to read? I know my kenwood is impossible to read in many sunlite conditions. Don't usually care with the flash drive on shuffle. Wish I had gotten bluetooth. It has held up for 10,000 miles, 7 months, but I don't ride much in the rain anymore.
Do you have a usb port? I believe they sell small usb thumb drive type bluetooth adapters that you might be able to use?

Like this one.

Attached Thumbnails radio head unit???-tiny-usb-bluetooth-adapter.jpg  

Last edited by hd_rolling; 01-24-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: radio head unit???