Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long engine off without battery dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How long engine off without battery dying

I had a harley battery tender that I plugged at the end of each ride. But still, my battery
died withing two years. So I am thinking about not using the tender with my new bike. So, can you guess estimate how long I can have an Ultra with security without a tender in my garage and still be able to start right up next time? I have heard two weeks

Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

here's the error:

when a battery is discharged all the way down- it will only recharge to a level about 60% of it's previous capacity.

so IF your battery gets drained in the garage...a 350 CCA battery may recharge back only to 200 CCA

Things that kill batteries are heat and vibration- something we have lots of on a motorcycle.

Especially you and I living in warm climates- 2 years is not unusual.

and the more regularly the bike is ridden- generally - the longer the battery will last.

if your bike sits in the garage not only the security but the radio will cause a slight drain, there will also be a slight drain between the terminals on the battery casing- any dirt will allow a slight flow of electrons.

the battery tender is not the be al and end all, but it's the best tool we have.

for a flat battery, a tender will not recharge it, use a real battery charger and a charging rate of less than 10 amps...for me more like 2 or 5 amps which would require a few days charging

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a HD battery tender on mine. It goes on every year when the leaves fly and off when the leaves come back on. I also ride in the winter to work etc. so it gets some use. I have 50 k on the bike and its 5 years old with the same battery.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you either had a fauly tender or extremely bad luck with the battery.
If your previous bike was a Sportster it could have been excessive heat on the battery or maybe even the regulator.
I have an '07 Ultra, from new, always on tender, never a problem.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I got 7 good years out of my stock battery and it sits on a tender for 5-6 months a year.. Chicago winters are BRUTAL and i have a detached-unheated garage...
Just sayin...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people that are not in the sun belts of Fl and Az have no idea what battery life is.

In Phoenix, 2 years is a good amount of time on your battery. My diesel truck, jeeps, bikes, jet skis all go through batteries every 2 years. doesnt matter how good of a battery you get... cheap batteries dont even last that long

Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vegashd
people that are not in the sun belts of Fl and Az have no idea what battery life is.
yup, but think of all the money we save on lock deicer, snow tires, snow shovels, sidewalk salt and all that other stuff.

Mike

Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, im a native to az and dont have huge issued with batteries, if i go get autozone or checker batteries yea 2 years but a interstate from sear is what i normally get for close to the same autozone price and i ALWAYS get 3.5-4 years min out of anything even riding lawn mowers

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mkguitar
yup, but think of all the money we save on lock deicer, snow tires, snow shovels, sidewalk salt and all that other stuff.

Mike
Yea Mike you forgot Snow blowers/Snow throwers but thats OK i know you meant well....Right? :-)

Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by riteway
Yea Mike you forgot Snow blowers/Snow throwers but thats OK i know you meant well....Right? :-)
we never had the money for that stuff- eat your oatmeal, shovel the drive before walking to school- or I guess that stuff didn't exist when i was a kid.

I've been dodging winter a long time

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: How long engine off without battery dying