Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long engine off without battery dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

ABS eats 24/7. CD players eat 24/7. Security does also.

It is different for each bike. Some may have minor shorts. Just being connected has some drain. In a dark garage pull the negative cable off and touch it to the terminal. You will see a spark. If you see a large spark you have some investigating to do.

A fresh battery on a tender until the bike goes out and connected upon returning can go 10 years.

I have 10 bikes in the garage that have been on tenders since the first day. I do not have battery problems ever unless it was a defective battery to begin with.

I did have one defective battery which the dealer replaced under warranty.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also native to the valley of the sun, and just make it simple and replace them every 2 years before the machine starts showing sign of engine drag. So I can say that I get 2 years out of a battery even garaged.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Life

I generally get about 3 years out of the batteries on my cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Anything more than 3 years is living on borrowed time. I'd prefer to replace the battery after 3 years and perhaps lose a few months of battery life than try to stretch the battery life to the limit and get stranded somewhere when the battery dies.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM
vegashd
Banned

Originally Posted by mkguitar
yup, but think of all the money we save on lock deicer, snow tires, snow shovels, sidewalk salt and all that other stuff.

Mike
What's snow? Lol

Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 AM
WindJammer
Tourer

five years on mine, put it on a tender every winter for 5 months. I think every technical article I've ever read regarding battery maintenance advises to keep them charged with a trickle charger or the like. The tender is ideal as it provides a charge on demand.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
people that are not in the sun belts of Fl and Az have no idea what battery life is.

In Phoenix, 2 years is a good amount of time on your battery. My diesel truck, jeeps, bikes, jet skis all go through batteries every 2 years. doesnt matter how good of a battery you get... cheap batteries dont even last that long
Does that mean that it is not only the excessive heat a Sportster battery has to endure but even prolonged high ambient temperature as you guys have do so much damage?
That is something that us, who live in cooler climes, don't always think about.
Have to say though that if I could swap a new battery every two years for not having to worry about rust I know what I'd choose.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
I generally get about 3 years out of the batteries on my cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Anything more than 3 years is living on borrowed time. I'd prefer to replace the battery after 3 years and perhaps lose a few months of battery life than try to stretch the battery life to the limit and get stranded somewhere when the battery dies.
+1...Good Thinking....It's not worth being stranded in the middle of nowhere.