Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE pro tuner, what does it take to do myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Speed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to keep in mind with regards to the SERT.
It's married to the ECM. So if your ECM takes a **** on ya. Youre replacing the ECM AND the race tuner. A pretty nice bill indeed.

That's a situation you'll never deal with with a 3rd party (and arguably better) tuner as it will move from one ECM another.

I had a thundermax from zippers performance on my Deuce and loved it.

Good luck

Last edited by Speed; 01-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
One thing to keep in mind with regards to the SERT.
It's married to the ECM. So if your ECM takes a **** on ya. Youre replacing the ECM AND the race tuner. A pretty nice bill indeed.

That's a situation you'll never deal with with a 3rd party (and arguably better) tuner as it will move from one ECM another.

I had a thundermax from zippers performance on my Deuce and loved it.

Good luck
The race tuner can be sent back to HD and cleared in that instance, but it still takes time. And the service Mgr. has to initialize the process.

Mark

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Speed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
The race tuner can be sent back to HD and cleared in that instance, but it still takes time. And the service Mgr. has to initialize the process.

Mark
Hey Mark, not being confrontational, sincerely, but good luck with that.

One of the guys I ride with had his ECM go south. When he asked if the race tuner could be moved he was told by Atlantic County HD here in jersey that "it's married to the ECM and you're going to have to purchase a new one"

I don't see the dealer bending over backwards to send your SERT out to have it cleared when the alternative is selling you a new one.

My guys bill included new ECM, new SERT + dyno time to tune.
If I remember correctly in was in the neighborhood of $1000 when all was said and done.

With all that said, yes, it's possible to have the SERT cleared but its far less possible to find a service manager willing to do it.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
Hey Mark, not being confrontational, sincerely, but good luck with that.

One of the guys I ride with had his ECM go south. When he asked if the race tuner could be moved he was told by Atlantic County HD here in jersey that "it's married to the ECM and you're going to have to purchase a new one"

I don't see the dealer bending over backwards to send your SERT out to have it cleared when the alternative is selling you a new one.

My guys bill included new ECM, new SERT + dyno time to tune.
If I remember correctly in was in the neighborhood of $1000 when all was said and done.

With all that said, yes, it's possible to have the SERT cleared but its far less possible to find a service manager willing to do it.
I also am not being confrontational, but I work at a dealership and we have done it before.. :-)

Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
I work at a dealership and we have done it before.. :-)
So do I and so have we, many times, for other issues.

BTW in 8 years in 2 high volume dealerships I've only seen 2 ECMs ACTUALLY fail and ZERO Super Tuners fail, but I've seen lots of Thundermax, Power Commander, Fuels Paks ect ect ect fail!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHRCMarinePatriot
The problem with the SE tuner, as I've read on HDForum, is everytime you do a mod or a tweak you have to pay the MoCo to do it.
Even though this lie has been on HDF since the SERT was new its still not true, no matter how many times it gets told!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing like all the misinformation you can get on an open forum......geez!

You're computer savvy so go buy the SEPST along with cables and a current disk and have at it.

Make sure you are getting 32109-08c SEPST though. That's the latest with auto-tune and can be bought on eBay for $330.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
So do I and so have we, many times, for other issues.

BTW in 8 years in 2 high volume dealerships I've only seen 2 ECMs ACTUALLY fail and ZERO Super Tuners fail, but I've seen lots of Thundermax, Power Commander, Fuels Paks ect ect ect fail!
Same here doc, never heard of a SEPST failure. Also my SEPST is fully tunable with the cables and program, no need for a dyno every time you change something.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM
dblkick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will probably cause a stir but,.... Unless you have a dyno or plan on having it dyno tuned, your wasting your money. You'll spend all kinds of cash on several components & punch in a pre written flash and you'll notice a little difference. Why not have the bike dyno tuned where ( if the dyno guy is any good ) he'll spend close to an hour running the bike through all the gears & rmp ranges to adjust the fuel, air, timing, etc to write a map for YOUR bike. Don't flame me, I just don't think you can tune a motor on a computer without real world exercises.

My .02
Dave

Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dblkick
This will probably cause a stir but,.... Unless you have a dyno or plan on having it dyno tuned, your wasting your money. You'll spend all kinds of cash on several components & punch in a pre written flash and you'll notice a little difference. Why not have the bike dyno tuned where ( if the dyno guy is any good ) he'll spend close to an hour running the bike through all the gears & rmp ranges to adjust the fuel, air, timing, etc to write a map for YOUR bike. Don't flame me, I just don't think you can tune a motor on a computer without real world exercises.

My .02
Dave
An hour? How about that! My tuner must be a noob, cause he spent nearly 4 by the time ha was done...

To the OP; I have the stuff that U need, cables, software, and even a training video that HD sells with it. I bought it all and never used it. As stated by many, SE Tuner and be done.

Quick Reply: SE pro tuner, what does it take to do myself