Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Galaxy III GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Don't you cell phone nav guys ever ride where you run out of cell coverage, or do you have an app that downloads the entire country's map data?
My phone works off an GPS - the only place I haven't gotten coverage so far is in tunnels. I also have a 5 gig plan (no texting though), and I've never even gotten up to using 1 gig. Also, my phone has never run me down dead ends, nor streets that literally don't exist like my GPS has done to me on many occasions!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the link but unfortunately, DoubleTwist is not compatable with the Samsung G3 right now.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Well gents, thank you for this amusing posting. I don't know why I never thought about using my cell phone. I ordered a new RAM mount for the phone. I already have a 2 amp charger. I'm just looking for the best way to transfer my music from Itunes to my android phone. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go.

Thanks all!
Free - DoubleTwist App, makes it simple. Pics, music, video - you name it.

Works on my GS2, should be upgrading soon!

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 01-20-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: upgrade info
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Free - DoubleTwist App, makes it simple. Pics, music, video - you name it.

Works on my GS2, should be upgrading soon!
Double twist does not work on GS3.
If you upgrade and rely on double twist, you're going to be disappointed.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so when you are using your phone for GPS and you do loose service how can you get turn by turn directions or are you just using it for the map that was loaded before you ran out of service.
There is still alot of areas that have zero cell coverage. No towers = no coverage. Was on a trip to a small town in Oklahoma for christmas following directions to a house in an area I had never been to before on my phones google map. It was 4 am and I was WAY out off the beaten path. The roads went from state hwy to gravel to dirt before I finally went back to where I had service to call for directions. Turned out google maps was way off and we were told we were up on a mountain in a dangerous indian area. Before I turned around I was getting out of the car with a flashlight shining it on mailboxes looking for addresses. I don't scare easy tho.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MOSTWANTED
Ok so when you are using your phone for GPS and you do loose service how can you get turn by turn directions or are you just using it for the map that was loaded before you ran out of service.
There is still alot of areas that have zero cell coverage. No towers = no coverage. Was on a trip to a small town in Oklahoma for christmas following directions to a house in an area I had never been to before on my phones google map. It was 4 am and I was WAY out off the beaten path. The roads went from state hwy to gravel to dirt before I finally went back to where I had service to call for directions. Turned out google maps was way off and we were told we were up on a mountain in a dangerous indian area. Before I turned around I was getting out of the car with a flashlight shining it on mailboxes looking for addresses. I don't scare easy tho.
Isn't that the case with all GPS? Here in NC, the only place where I've noticed that gaps isn't reliable is in the mountains. That's always a chance you take but if you're traveling to a new area, you can always contact your cell provider to verify that there's coverage in that area. But I always look at a map before taking off, just so I know the main roads.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MOSTWANTED
The only time no coverage matters is when you are trying to get map data. If you plot your phone gps BEFORE you lose coverage, the app downloads the entire route prior to beginning the route. The only thing that you lose during periods of no coverage is the "real time" stuff such as weather and gas prices and traffic reports. Also, how can yiu expect to have coverage on a road that's not even paved? Wow...

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
The only time no coverage matters is when you are trying to get map data. If you plot your phone gps BEFORE you lose coverage, the app downloads the entire route prior to beginning the route. The only thing that you lose during periods of no coverage is the "real time" stuff such as weather and gas prices and traffic reports. Also, how can yiu expect to have coverage on a road that's not even paved? Wow...
Now, now, now my Southern Brother, that's not nice.He meant well. lol

Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Well gents, thank you for this amusing posting. I don't know why I never thought about using my cell phone. I ordered a new RAM mount for the phone. I already have a 2 amp charger. I'm just looking for the best way to transfer my music from Itunes to my android phone. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go.

Thanks all!
I use pandora on my phone...the gps interupts the music...works for me

Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if they have one for a G3 but for my Atrix HD I mounted a car dock to the fairing. Ran the power behind the fairing and wired it in. Ran the headphone wire around the inside of the fairing and plug it into stereo. You can see in picture only a small amount of wire is outside the fairing.

Works great for music and GPS and turn by turn comes through speakers if listening to music. Phone stays charged and like others said as long as you punch in route with signal your fine.

Last edited by bberck; 02-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Galaxy III GPS