Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Galaxy III GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't there a car charger that will plug into the cig lighter socket?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK Joy
Isn't there a car charger that will plug into the cig lighter socket?
This - I just use my car charger to the cig lighter on my Galaxy I.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't you cell phone nav guys ever ride where you run out of cell coverage, or do you have an app that downloads the entire country's map data?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Don't you cell phone nav guys ever ride where you run out of cell coverage, or do you have an app that downloads the entire country's map data?
Everywhere in the country has cellular coverage. It might not be your specific carrier but there is coverage everywhere. Most cell phone companies include roaming for free nowadays so I always have some sort of coverage. Even if there is a remote spot that is missing some coverage, the map apps usually download the whole route in the beginning so that you dont have that issue. The only thing that changes is that there may be some features that are not available during that time of no coverage. Even still, the maps and routes dont disappear.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
Everywhere in the country has cellular coverage. It might not be your specific carrier but there is coverage everywhere. Most cell phone companies include roaming for free nowadays so I always have some sort of coverage. Even if there is a remote spot that is missing some coverage, the map apps usually download the whole route in the beginning so that you dont have that issue. The only thing that changes is that there may be some features that are not available during that time of no coverage. Even still, the maps and routes dont disappear.
Really!
No one has even 100% phone coverage let alone the data coverage that is required.
Verizon for example
http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...ap_default.jpg

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Really!
No one has even 100% phone coverage let alone the data coverage that is required.
Verizon for example
http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...ap_default.jpg
Amen, go find high speed data while traipsing around South Dakota.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Well gents, thank you for this amusing posting. I don't know why I never thought about using my cell phone. I ordered a new RAM mount for the phone. I already have a 2 amp charger. I'm just looking for the best way to transfer my music from Itunes to my android phone. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go.

Thanks all!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Well gents, thank you for this amusing posting. I don't know why I never thought about using my cell phone. I ordered a new RAM mount for the phone. I already have a 2 amp charger. I'm just looking for the best way to transfer my music from Itunes to my android phone. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go.

Thanks all!
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...-with-android/

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM
todderickson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my Galaxy Player 5 with a Ram handlebar mount. Works great if tilted so it doesn't glare. I also use the Copilot Live app which so far has been flawless, maps are downloaded to the device so you don't need cell service, which the Galaxy player doesn't have anyway.
I plug the mp3 cord into my stereo for listening to music and Copilot mutes the music and gives me audio turn by turn directions when needed.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
todderickson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and to keep it charged I plug my car charger into the power outlet on my fairing. It takes a lot of battery power to run GPS/navigation.

Quick Reply: Galaxy III GPS