Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield for Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
MR. Mustache
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield for Ultra Classic

I've searched the many threads on this but just cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2012 Ultra and was wondering about windshield height. I like the stock 12" windshield for cold weather riding and long trips, works great for me, but I am looking for something shorter for the summer months and shorter trips. I dont care if the wind pounds my chest but I dont want it hitting me in the face and head and knocking my riding glasses around. If it helps I'm 6'3" 225 lbs with stock Ultra seat and a 34" inseam. my buddy suggested a 6" but Ive heard alot of complaints from the SG guys that the wind hits em in the face. i was looking at a 4" possibly. What do ya think?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Windshields are a lot like seats. What works for some, sucks for others. Depends a lot on how you set in the saddle. I'm running a stock 4" on my SG but I tend to slouch when I ride and it has hard lowers. Hard lowers make a difference in airflow over the fairing. I'm running an 8" Clarks Custom windshield on my Ultra but I use a riders backrest so I set up straighter on it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Check out Fast Aire

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Cee Baileys 10". I look over it and the wind doesn't hit me anywhere.

Mark

Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm a gonna be like a broken record here:

I am cheep. I cut my own windscreens to height.

I use various seats on my bike- so my "height" will vary.

No matter what the seat height, I find that if my windscreen top edge "appears" to intersect the road about 40' in front of the bike that works best for me.

I have good wind protection ( I often wear a ball cap on the hwy to shade my eyes) - the wind blast hit just about where my hairline used to be...bugs and grit just sail overhead.

In crap weather I can tuck into the windscreen for protection from the rain- I do not tint, as i wouldn;t be able to see through if riding in the rain at night.

I am 6'2" with an ultra seat I use a 9"
with the street glide seat ( lower & back) I use a 7"
with the Brawler solo seat ( lower and back even more) I use a 6"

the stock style windscreens are easily cut on the bottom ( hidden) edge with a rotozip.

easy

I have been able to buy take off stock windscreens for under $40, and cut them.

I have not used a "recurve" style because of cost- I also think that it would impede crap weather riding distorting vision is looking through it.
However a recurve may increase downforce on the front wheel which would be helpful, the batwing fairing unloads traction at wind speeds above 85 ish

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

I had a 8" clearview. It lifted the air up over my helmet an I am 6 foot tall with a 32 inseam. Did such a good job that I got very air starved it the summer months. Now I have the HD windsplitter. Still puts the air over my head but also gives me more free air around the shield so that I don't feel stifeled on a ride. I was going to use the wi ndsplitter in the summer and the clearview in the colder times. Problem is I like the windsplitter year round. On a positive note HD dealers have a loaned program where you can try the different hights at once.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack anything but I have a 9" tinted LRS at home with under a thousand miles on it. I'd let go for a good price. I replaced with a 7" version, I had my seat re-done and I couldn't look over it anymore (I'm 6'). Something to think about.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am 5'11 and my 6" is perfict for me, the 4" (same one the sg comes with) was too short, the break in the wind (turbulance)was right at eyeball level for me.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

As a former Electra Glide Classic owner, I had the same situation as you. I had a Street Glide before that, so I know a little about windshields. I'm 6'3'' and have a 34'' inseam. I put the H-D 10'' Windsplitter on my 2011 EGC and loved it. Took a 4,000 mile road trip last summer and it performed very well. And I liked the way it looked, a little lower and more stylish. H-D has a demo windshield program. Go to your dealer and try one for a half hour ride at 70 MPH. I think you'll like it.

Attachments below. Pic quality not good, but you get the drift.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield for Ultra Classic-100_1449.jpg   Windshield for Ultra Classic-100_1517.jpg   Windshield for Ultra Classic-100_1516.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
MR. Mustache
Stage III

Originally Posted by The Old Man
I had a 8" clearview. It lifted the air up over my helmet an I am 6 foot tall with a 32 inseam. Did such a good job that I got very air starved it the summer months. Now I have the HD windsplitter. Still puts the air over my head but also gives me more free air around the shield so that I don't feel stifeled on a ride. I was going to use the wi ndsplitter in the summer and the clearview in the colder times. Problem is I like the windsplitter year round. On a positive note HD dealers have a loaned program where you can try the different hights at once.
Might have to check out the Windsplitter. What size is yours Old Man?

Quick Reply: Windshield for Ultra Classic