Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Road Trip...

He the Issue, we are heading cross country this summer and map,GPS etc. I normally get the routes planed out before I head out on a 1 to 3 day trips and have no issue with shorter trips like that but this trip is 23 days and I thinking a GPS is the way to go, but last summer I hard wired my old GPS on bike and could not see the GPS and it was more of a distraction than a help with that said, do you guys run a GPS and does it work good in this application? I had a older unit and only tried one weekend and took it out....maps are done and the route is set I am thinking of breaking down the maps to state by state and directions that way I can keep a "cheat sheet" in my coat pocket...I would not worry about this normally but we are staying off the super slabs and there going to be alot back road stuff and you know missing a turn there can happen......GPS or not....

Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I always use a GPS on cross country trips. I like to know how many miles to my next stop or waypoint, and it makes finding gas stations and places to eat much easier. During certain times of the day it can be harder to see the screen than others, but it's never that bad.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 I mount to my left handlebar using a RAM mount.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I always use a GPS on cross country trips. I like to know how many miles to my next stop or waypoint, and it makes finding gas stations and places to eat much easier. During certain times of the day it can be harder to see the screen than others, but it's never that bad.

I was thinking I didnt give it a good chance was a very sunny weekend!!
what or how do you hard wire to your bike? I tried the cig plug but when I would park the bike the plug hit tank so that is out and when i hard wired I had to find a cig plug and i wired that to the inside wire on the cig lighter and ran everything inside fering but there must be a better way?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4

Same device here. Some folks complain they cant see it in the sun, and it does wash out a bit, but I can always see it. I havent tried setting to the night setting, that might help too.

I freakin *love* having a GPS on the bike.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

went to South Carolina back in September and used my GPS and phone gps...Both were very useful.. bought this Magellan from Radio Shack for 50 bucks and it's been a good unit...

Attached Thumbnails Road Trip...-front-of-magellan.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
He the Issue, we are heading cross country this summer and map,GPS etc. I normally get the routes planed out before I head out on a 1 to 3 day trips and have no issue with shorter trips like that but this trip is 23 days and I thinking a GPS is the way to go, but last summer I hard wired my old GPS on bike and could not see the GPS and it was more of a distraction than a help with that said, do you guys run a GPS and does it work good in this application? I had a older unit and only tried one weekend and took it out....maps are done and the route is set I am thinking of breaking down the maps to state by state and directions that way I can keep a "cheat sheet" in my coat pocket...I would not worry about this normally but we are staying off the super slabs and there going to be alot back road stuff and you know missing a turn there can happen......GPS or not....
I don't know your setup, I haven't read other replies, yet... I have my iPhone, and whatever GPS/Map software of choice running. I can't see ANY display on the bike, forget about adjusting anything.... HOWEVER... the voice turn-by-turn over the radio is the PERFECT solution.

I'm lucky that my head unit supports Bluetooth, but I can also plug in via USB.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have mine mounted up the bars a bit, so it is almost vertical. That helps reduce problems from the sun. I also plot each day's trip separately and store them individually. If each day is a simple route, it is as easy to set up your gps the previous evening or before setting off. However if you are going to use frequent route changes it would be better to plot them before you leave home.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got my Garmin mounted on the bars + it works great. Make sure the volume + brightness are turned all the way up. Also, I put one of those clear scrren protectors on + it actually improved the visibility in direct sunlight. The GPS is absolutely invaluable when negotiating large interchanges in unfamiliar cities.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Our long trips never have pre-planned stops so we don't have an element of "rushing" to make our daily destination. With that in mind we do loosely map out our trips and that is my job as I have a geography degree. I am old school and love my maps, and have not yet discovered the "greatness" of the GPS. It is a great tool, just not for me.

With that in mind what I do before our trips is get ahold of several copies of the "official state highway maps" of where we are going and cut them up into several smaller more managable mini-maps that are conveinent to access when out on the road. Sometimes even highlighting the planned primary route. Just my $0.02.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I use maps...I sometimes use google maps online- so i am 1/2 way to a dinosaur/ 1/2 way in the last century.

I cannot think of any circumstance where a gps would be more helpful than taking the time to learn the route.

With a GPS you input a destination and the gps gets you there.
By pouring over a map you get a better sense of what is between you and you destination and can maybe find some nice alternative to

"Turn left on I-10, travel 2253 miles to Exit 9a"

Note or directions I put on my ipod touch, which I mount off of my fairing pouch.

Google earth can be handy for "rural" roads, if you zoom in and see lines painted, then at least you know it is paved.

McD's and starbucks are great for free wifi.

strategy for touring:

if using motels make 2 reservations for each day, 1 about 250~300 miles out...the other about 500 miles out.

at lunch figure out which one to cancel based on weather and how you are feeling about a long day.

If no reservation and in busy areas ( like anywhere around sturgis for 1000 miles)- make sure you get a room by 4:30.

at 8 pm while you are enjoying a beer poolside, you will hear bikes circling the motels looking for a room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34155736@N07/5779208834/

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-22-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Trip...