Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use advice on used Streetglide please

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM
mike 09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use advice on used Streetglide please

Hi, Im really thinking about going to a streetglide from a fatboy. I would like to know how well you guys like your bikes and are there any regrets. The other question is what is a realistic price for one? I would like to stay within a few years old but can not justify a new one. I bought my fatboy new in 09 so the old lady will flip. I found a 2010 with 18k miles for 18,500. seems a little steep. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks, Mike

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

KBB shows the retail value is close to 18K and trade in is 14.5K.

As far as like, I like my 2010 a lot. At 24K miles, I replaced the compensator and did some other primary work. But I have been really happy and love my X. If I were in the market right now, I would be looking for 9 or newer, ( I like the new frame) but I would really try to swing the 103 motor.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

$18,500 is too high IMHO. As far as the bike I think you will love the SG. It's the perfect blend of comfort and cool. I dare to say that you won't miss the FB after a few rides.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

I sold my 08 FLSTF last fall and pickd up a FLHX. I really liked my Fat Boy but it was out of site, out of mind after I got the Street Glide. Couldn't be happier and don't think I'll ever ride anything other than a touring bike from here on out. One of the reasons I changed bikes is that I found myself taking longer and longer rides. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
mike 09
Cruiser

I love the look of the streetglide and agree it sure would be alot more enjoyable to ride longer than the fatboy. I think the fairing and the tunes would suck me in real fast. I guess I should have googled prices before I asked. I thought they were in the mis 20s new. 19,500 ish new is better than 18500 used. Thanks, so far and any suggestions are welcome. Mike

Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Love ours. Changes:

Shocks - Ride is okay but enjoy better ride with 13" shocks and better cornerning clearance with the V&H dresser duals on the right side.
Mirrors - too low and narrow. Useless for me and many others
Handlesbars/grips - typical customization
Seat - Great, but for really touring, Mustang or similar for the passenger and avoiding the winnebago look
Windshield - Wind protection; tall and wide will also enable the radio to sound louder, less fatigue
Fork baffle - final step in turbulance reduction without going nuts with fairing, fork and lower fairings/baffles.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 151 Posts

Just to give you an idea I looked at some of the dealers around IA for a friend, found a 10 for $17,995 w/25K miles & a 12 w/ 8K for $17,800. The 12 was a rental, but it had a little over a year left of warranty, some don't like rentals because they think that all guys do is beat on them, but with the money saved you can buy quite a bit of extended warranty & still have some $$ left over to do some mods. If you can get a good price on a new bike now because of the cold weather up north, a couple of years of warranty is good also, especially if you don't do your own wrenching.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

Rent one for a day and by the end of the day I think you will be hooked. I had reserved a Deluxe to ride from Denver to Sturgis in 2010, Deluxe was in an accident, hit a deer a week before Sturgis so they had me take an 09 Street Glide, I was a little mad at first I really wanted to ride the Deluxe, got on the SG and was on the bike for I think like 2 minutes and was hooked. They are fun to go on short rides and perfect for long road trips. It is the most stable bike I have ever ridden, almost no vibration at speed and confident thru the twisties. I've added HD Monotubes up front and Ohlins out back, the ride stock isn't bad, the ride now is outstanding.

Last edited by porkchopsd; 01-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

I loved this bike but the engine trashed itself:

So I traded it in on this bike:

And I love my Streetglide ('09, 4K on the clocks Stage 1 and dead mint for $17K) but the Fat Boy was a lot lighter, more like a scooter compared to the Streetglide. I have to pay a lot more attention parking the new bike, it's a lot slower (the FB was heavily modded), and a bit tippy, especially with a full tank. But it gets 43 mpg on the slab, love the music and the cruise control rocks...

Last edited by bjewell; 10-16-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went from an '01 Fat Boy, to an '02 Road King, to a '12 Street Glide. Fat Boy to Road King was like a Dodge to a Cadillac, Road King to Street Glide was like going from a Cadillac to a Camaro. Man that Camaro looks good, but it ain't no Caddy ride!

I'm happy with my SG, but it's definately not as comfortable as my RK, but it falls between my Fat Boy and my Road King. From the factory I can't see myself running 500 mile days very long without it beating me with wind and a rough ride. My 2 cents worth . . .

Quick Reply: Could use advice on used Streetglide please