Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dynamat experience...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM
PeteZ06
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My Dynamat experience...

Since I installed stretched bags with Rockford Fosgate 6x9's, I wanted to get the most out of my new sound system and decided to Dynamat the rear bags. I decided to do just one bag and compare before doing the other bag.

My results ended up being the absolute opposite of what I expected... With the Dynamat the speaker sounded quieter and seemed to have less bass/punch than the other speaker. I thought maybe it was a poor song choice so I went thru 5 different songs and the results were the exact same with every other song. So I ripped the Dynamat out.

Anyone else Dynamat their bags and what were your results?

I also want to get custom made liners for the bags and now I'm afraid the liners will make the speakers sound worse!!

Last edited by PeteZ06; 01-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speakers function best at a given amount of airspace and resonance. Dynamat is "usually" an excellent choice for better sound quality. Perhaps by adding the Dynamat it changed the resonance in such a way that the frequency was effectively canceling out the sound from the speaker. If you've ever looked inside a high end subwoofer enclosure, there is a tube that opens to the outside. This tube is tuned to an optimum length to improve sound quality. Sometimes audio doesn't react like we expect it to. If it sounds better without the mat, don't sweat it.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good thread! I had the same question during my install. After finding the shop of choice I asked the same question. I was assured that pads of any type are not recommended. I trusted this guy by the appearance of his shop. http://www.soundxpression.com/ I paid about $100 more than I would have at Sound Emporium, or similar. But worth the piece-of-mind knowing my stuff will be treated right.

I first shopped around, and also priced up the plug-n-play systems. I found that the local stereo shops can supply the product, and install (for the sake of argument) an equivalent system for the same price.

After all my research; I found my decision based, shop cleanliness, knowledge, and portfolio. I just couldn't bring myself to deliver my spotless, scratch-free, gloss black bike to a shop of "ambitious" young men to do the install.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, and have built several offroad cars. But I'm not sure if I could have done the install without extensive research on stereo. It has 2 amps, crossovers, and handle bar controls. Oh, and it came with a lifetime labor warranty.

Sorry I got carried-away; this is my advice to those who are considering wrapping their speakers with Dynamat or any other material. I suggest you let'em breathe - Same thing I tell my wife when she's wearing a bra!

Last edited by bent trix; 01-13-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm wondering if my 6x9 saddlebag lid speakers would sound better without my HD liners installed. They help protect items that are in my saddlebags. I will remove one and compare the sound and then see if the sound is a improvement and worth losing the added protection.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to think what Dynamat is actually meant to do. It insulates and helps absorb resonating frequencies. The reason your speakers sounded a little more quiet is because the Dynamat was absorbing some of the low end frequencies. When you take it out the sound reverberating around inside the bag was just bouncing off of all sides. I'm sure you will notice that even though the sound was lower in decibel level it was more than likely a little tighter as well. What you essentially took away with the Dynamat was the boom and vibrating.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 Pioneer 6 X 9's in each bag. They sound better since I had an upolstery shop carpent the bags & lids !

A LOT nicer finish than the HD liners, and about the same price.

Attached Thumbnails My Dynamat experience...-daylight.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 PM
bent trix
Tourer

That's going to be my summer project. I'm going to line my bags and tourpack with backless felt and 3M spray glue. My neighbor wrapped his daughters jeep enclosures with the stuff, it's easy to work with and super pliable.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
bent trix
Tourer

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I have 2 Pioneer 6 X 9's in each bag. They sound better since I had an upolstery shop carpent the bags & lids !

A LOT nicer finish than the HD liners, and about the same price.

Are you running a stock stator? Do you have any photos of cover side (inside) of the bag speakers? It would be interesting to see what covers you went with, and how do they hold up from road debris.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bent trix
Are you running a stock stator? Do you have any photos of cover side (inside) of the bag speakers? It would be interesting to see what covers you went with, and how do they hold up from road debris.
Stock Ultra stator. Didn't use covers ! I've had them apart a few times, & just a little dusty inside.

Attached Thumbnails My Dynamat experience...-dsc01858.jpg   My Dynamat experience...-dsc01861.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Stock Ultra stator. Didn't use covers ! I've had them apart a few times, & just a little dusty inside.

this is the way to go for speakers in bags unless you dont ride much or live in a dry state. the cycle sounds are cool in theory but damn do they leak

Quick Reply: My Dynamat experience...