Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV, Fuel Moto, Dyno or Don't Dyno ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Question PCV, Fuel Moto, Dyno or Don't Dyno ?

Don't know if this question has been kicked around or not. I have a 2012 Ultra Classic 103. Has Power Commander V, 4" Rineharts, V&H Power Duals, and S&S Stealth Air Cleaner. Bought my PCV from Fuel Moto and they have been helpful, just like everyone says. I have tried 3 different maps from them and bike seems to run well. However question I'm asking is how many have a simalar set up and have had the bike dynoed. I talked to a Harley head tech at my dealership. He has always been real honest with me about things. He said he had worked with Fuel Moto and they are usually real good. Said if bike was running good, he didn't know if I would see much difference by having it dynoed. So how many have a similar setup and have had it dynoed and thought it was money well spent. Or did you think it still ran about the same. That's a lot of money to spend if it doesn't help much. Also they run the crap out of your bike when they dyno it.

PS I really don't care if you have a Power Vision or Harley SE race tuner, and think their better. Just asking members that have a similar setup to mine. Thanks

Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

If it runs good don't F with it, you'll never feel the 1 or 2 hp you "might" gain.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Buckeye1951
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 I would just ride it. I would pull the plugs after a few hundred miles and see if they are burning correctly. As has been discussed, the bikes are way too lean from the factory, if the map Fuelmoto loaded is close, the lean condition should be gone, the plugs would reflect that.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very similar setup on my 2012 Sportster 1200C and the Indy that set it up for me say'ed that no dyno needed. The cost of dyno time would not return more hp to justify the cost.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 2010 with the 96", complete exhaust, air breather and Fuel Moto can map tune on the PCV. Mine runs great so I see no reason to put her through the abuse of a Dyno Tune. My buddy has a 2011 with similar set up. His bike also ran great. He decide to have it dyno tuned after riding it for almost the whole season on the can map from Fuel Moto and despite the fact that the bike ran flawlessly. The Dyno tune gained him a little over 1 HP and 3 miles to the gallon of gas but it now runs hotter, hesitates on take off and spits on decel etc. He's not happy. My .02, if it runs good, leave it alone! Simple Stage 1 can map from Fuel Moto is hard to beat.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you feel like tossing away 3-400 bucks make a donation to your local charity and skip the dyno. All you will get is a brag sheet and a worn out tire, and possibly worse fuel mileage because they try and get that big "number" with fuel.

Mark

Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your butt dyno is good and you don't care about #'s then I think you answered your own question...

Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,359 Likes on 22,641 Posts

Put cams in it and then get it dyno-ed.
Other-wise not much point..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to offer a different view but actually not disagreeing too much with earlier posts. For the work you've had done it's likely the maps are close. I bought for my RKC the Woods TW6-6's plus V&H Dressers Duals headers, Jackpot mufflers, stage 1 AC and a PC V, all from Fuel Moto and provided with a map for the set up. Once installed it didn't feel great on the butt dyno and was being out-run by bikes that shouldn't have been able to. So on the dyno it went - see the attachment. The dyno time was worth it for me but the bike didn't feel right beforehand and I was doing cams also so a couple of differences from your situation. Also important for me to say that I'm not knocking FM, just that every bike is different so canned maps are an "off the shelf" solution and I like my maps tailored. I subsequently bought FM's 107" kit for the same bike (10% to 15% gains across the board and 100 lbs at 3000 rpm) so that should confirm that I have every confidence in them. I think my example is an extreme one but it is an example just the same.

Attached Files
Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You may want to consider adding auto tune and cams.

Quick Reply: PCV, Fuel Moto, Dyno or Don't Dyno ?