Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polish and wax the good, the bad, the ugly????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
Is it HD propaganda not to use anything with carnuba?(from a dealer(owner) detail session) the most destructive to new finish's
You are not supposed to use Carnauba wax on fresh paint, it seals the surface and keeps it from curing right. However a new Harley in the show room is not new paint, first it is factory baked before going on the bike and the paint is months old.
Two stage base coat clear coat urethanes do not really need any protection like lacquers or the old enamels. You only need a coating for cosmetic reasons. A wax fills in the imperfections and make it shine better, same for synthetic polymers.
A Carnauba wax is also an excellent cleaner.
Waxes (I am talking about real waxes not polymers) will evaporate over a period of time, usually not lasting more than two or three months, less if you wash the bike. It is hard to build up wax, one coat takes off the first coat. It can only get so thick. Never use dishwashing detergent on wax because it is designed to remove wax.
True Carnauba Is yellow, but it is usually mixed with bees wax, it usually does not show up yellow, but will on certain colors. Especially working with natural woods. I have never had a need to strip Carnauba wax unless I was prepping for paint.
The chrome is a different story, especially Harley chrome. That needs protection to keep it from rusting. Any wax, or silicone polymers work great, the synthetic waxes last much longer and are resistant to detergents.
I have used a ton of different things, my favorite is pig spit, or is it pig snot, because it just sprays on and goes everywhere, yea even the wheels brakes, leather, ect.
I hit my bike every four month or so.
Worst thing you can do is wipe off a dirty bike with a cloth. This will scratch the paint.
Other than that.
Use what you feel does the most good, makes you feel good, it is pretty hard to hurt the paint. If you have ever tried to color sand a Harley or remove the paint you will know what I am talking about.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-12-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
jvalason
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sold on Adam's Polishes

Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use original bike spirits aka Honda polish for quick detailing on everything and used Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax every now and then for the paint. It leaves no residue and paint really pops.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meguires # 21 professional sealant. Once in the spring and once in the fall the rest is rinse and dry. Novus on the windshield.
Lifes too short to polish when you could be riding.....

Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Never use dishwashing detergent on wax because it is designed to remove wax.
I always thought it was designed to wash dishes

Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
I always thought it was designed to wash dishes
Yea I know, I was probabley forty years old before I learned that:-)

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Best stuff I have ever used.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Yeah I have been looking for a good polymer, still undecided

Pssst!!! <---------(click me)

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using mothers for chrome and it works great. It isnot the quickest job in the world, but I like to put on some tunes and zone out while I do it some what of a zen thing for me.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I'm a Meguiar's guy. I've been using their products since the 1970s, along with others, but always come back to Meguiar's.

The products I use currently for paint is their Ultimate Compund, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Wax.

I usually clean chrome with Windex (or something similar) and only rarely will use a polish.

For plastic, vinyl and rubber, Meguiar's #40 or Supreme Shine Protectant.
Everyones regimen is different, however since your wanting to know what everyone is doing and using. Since the formula change in Pledge (lets not start that discussion again), Ive been using Meguiars products as well. I towel soap sections at a time and micro- wipe with detail spray polish, using their liquid wax every other time. The detail spray I use on everything including chrome, rubber and plexi. The wax is primarily for painted surfaces.

Quick Reply: Polish and wax the good, the bad, the ugly????