Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 flhtc

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013 | 10:56 AM
btd2222
|
Stage I
Default 1984 flhtc

I have owned newer Harleys in the past, but just had this 1984 flhtc given to me by my father. I grew up on the back of this bike and now need to get it running again. I am looking for a ton of parts, and my main question is what years crossover with the 84. I am looking for a couple bag lids etc. And am wanting to put in an aftermarket motor, trans, etc. The old motor has over 200k on it and dont think it is a very good candidate for a rebuild. My dad used to ride this bike like he stole it. So Im assuming its just better to go new. We all know what assuming does. Thanks for any help at all.

Old 01-11-2013 | 11:44 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

if the bike were mine I would send the motor to harley to rebuild...that way the numbers match the rest of the bike...plus it keeps it more "original"

Old 01-11-2013 | 11:48 AM
46u
Road Warrior

For parts I would look on eBay. If it was me I would rebuild my own motor but since it is not me I would let a GOOD locale independent shop do it but only if they are good. I know some that had problems with HD rebuilt motors.

Old 01-11-2013 | 11:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

welcome to the forums.

the HD remanufacturing program puts your bike back at stock...if it is an evo or newer.

you don't say- an 84 could be a shovel or an evo. ( evos were introduced mid-model year...and some shovels were continued into 1985 model year as 'contract' bikes ( usually PD )

the cost of the reman makes sense as you are likely to get an "all new" motor- with your numbers.

But they demand that a dealer does the take out and install which could drive the costs up- call around on that.

otherwise evo motors are pretty easy to find used ( and especially in phoenix where we had titan and swift cycles...and all kinds of parts seemed to fall out the back door.

saddlebags like yours were used through the 80's, and a swap meet item- some guys took them off the FLH ( shovel "old" style frame bike) and put them in the shed.

some parts on your bike will be "shovel" some will be "evo"- you'll do well to get a HD parts manual for your bike. it'll have all teh parts number and exploded diagrams

should be a fun project

- I'm a kinda looking for a shovel FLH- just because.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2013 | 12:16 PM
Mark98012
Tourer

I'm thinking that the '84 is the first year Evo. I had an '86 and if your's is an Evo, go with the rebuild. The early Evo's were bullitproof. Harley didn't know how the Evos would hold up so they built them STRONG. They casses were cheapened up around 89-90. I built up mine to 75 hp (stock is 52 hp) and it's still going strong. If it's a Shovel I have no idea. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2013 | 01:57 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

1984 FLHTC was Evolution. And I agree. A reman motor at HD is the way to go. Contact your local dealer. They will help you make the arrangements.

Many parts for these bikes can still be purchased at your Harley dealer. I wouldn't rule out finding plastic parts either. If they come up as obsolete your dealer has access to HDnet. were they can search other dealers inventory.

Old 01-11-2013 | 02:08 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

any pics of the bike ,,would like to see that

Old 01-11-2013 | 02:27 PM
46u
Road Warrior

That is what I thought in 84 the only Evo s where the T and softail. Some might not think this is true but they made a few Shovels in 85. One thing I do recommend on all EVO and Twin cams but more so EVO is before you hammer on it let it warm up to running temperature. This will help to keep the base gaskets Twin Cam o-rings for leaking before time.

Last edited by 46u; 01-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2013 | 07:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. You have asked a very sweeping question that embraces so many things! It really is not easy to give you a simple answer. For some parts you will need to be patient and look around for secondhand, or search for discontinued old stock.

There are a wide variety of replacement engines available, in sizes that will blow your mind - up to 131" will fit your frame - how big do you have in mind?! How big is your/our budget.....

There is nothing you can't sort out and HDF will give you tons of help and advice. It would be easier for us both if you make a start and ask more specific questions as you progress. Also pop into the Evo section, where you will find other early Evo owners.

Old 01-12-2013 | 08:33 AM
shovel52
Cruiser

I had an '84 FLHTC a while back. I wouldn't be afraid to rebuild the engine. Since it has 200k on it, I would assume it to be an EVO. Mine had 130,000 on it when I bought it and it had never been apart that I could tell. I took it apart and had the cylinders checked at the HD dealer here in Indianapolis and they were standard. I had it taken out .005 and put in new pistons and rings. I had the valve guides replaced and did the heads and put it back together. It had the most wear on the rims where they guy had put on tires with tire spoons. The back brake rotor was worn out and the caliper was all shot. Other than that, it was pretty much an easy rebuild. It rode good and ran good. I had it for a couple of years and sold it. It had an enclosed rear chain that was pretty tough to get right, but worked fine once I figured it out. Good luck and keep us posted. Ken

Quick Reply: 1984 flhtc