Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock crazy! 2008 vs 2012 WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock crazy! 2008 vs 2012 WTF?

Someone please help me out. My 08 road king shocks great. My 2012 FLHTK shocks suck. Whats gives? FT

Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Make sure the pressure is correct according to the manual. I'm not sure what year (I suspect it was 2009 when they changed the frame), but they changed the configuration and thus the recommended pressure in the shocks. For example, it used to be that 25 psi was recommended for two up. Now it is 40-50. If you have the shocks set according to the old recommendations, which you may have been used to with the RK, they may not be properly pressurized.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts

They changed the shocks along with the frame in 2009. Thats just the way they are. I've tried adjusting the pressure but still get a ruff riding bike.
The plus side is the bike handles better.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Someone please help me out. My 08 road king shocks great. My 2012 FLHTK shocks suck. Whats gives? FT
Those air shocks blow... I have the HD adjustable premium and they are much better. A bajillion options for rear shocks available and just as many opinions. One thing we will all agree on though is the stock shocks BLOW!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard this a few times, hard to believe that even the MOCO would start using even worse shocks.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

2012 FLHTC, bought Progressives. The stockers suck-no good ride no matter what pressure. Glad I didn't buy the air pump.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
I have seen it posted here before that when folks went to change the oil weight in the stock rear shocks on newer bikes, that there was not the correct amount of oil in them. Not saying this is the problem but may be worth checking.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by orangevette
I have seen it posted here before that when folks went to change the oil weight in the stock rear shocks on newer bikes, that there was not the correct amount of oil in them. Not saying this is the problem but may be worth checking.
?????

Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Those air shocks blow... I have the HD adjustable premium and they are much better. A bajillion options for rear shocks available and just as many opinions. One thing we will all agree on though is the stock shocks BLOW!
We don't all agree on that. Properly adjusted, for my weight (~220) and my wife (a buck ten), the stock shocks are fine. If you are putting them under substantially more "stress" than that, YMMV.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I could be completely wrong here, but . . . .

I *think* the FLHTK uses the same shocks as the FLHX; 12" vs 13" for all other touring models, including the RK. I have an '02 RK, and within a mile of riding my FLHX home I knew something was not the same. Many miles later, many air pressure settings, and it's not a lot better, especially if you have a previous touring model to compare it to. Maybe if it's your first bike you don't know any different, or if you're riding to the corner, but all I know is that no matter what I've done it's a somewhat rough ride that I wouldn't want to endure on a 8+ hour day. Love the bike, it's just not very comfortable.

I was about ready to spend some bonus money on some tools . . . . but came to the conclusion yesterday that that money would be better spent on a new set of shocks. So after reading up as much as I can, and with all the varieties and opinions out there, I *think* I'm going to go with some Progressive 944's. Do some research and you'll find lots of posts on this topic, for these specific bikes. Some folks have been picking up some 13" take off's from other bikes, but that will raise the back end. Bottom line is there are lots of options, some lower cost, some higher, but the rough ride seems to be one of the more common issues many people have with these two models.

As you see, not everyone agrees . . . but, I know I'd like to be a little 'fresher' after a long day than what I am now. If you don't like the ride, try air settings, and after that there certainly are some options out there . . . YMMV

Last edited by SoCalMike; 01-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Shock crazy! 2008 vs 2012 WTF?