Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock crazy! 2008 vs 2012 WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
ratdoc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
We don't all agree on that. Properly adjusted, for my weight (~220) and my wife (a buck ten), the stock shocks are fine. If you are putting them under substantially more "stress" than that, YMMV.
+1 on that. After finding the pressure sweet spot, I really like my stock shocks. They're noticeably stiffer than my '02, but the bike handles better and I prefer being able to feel the road. This might just boil down to personal preference - some guys like a stiffer ride and some like it as cushy as possible.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

We don't all agree on that. Properly adjusted, for my weight (~220) and my wife (a buck ten), the stock shocks are fine. If you are putting them under substantially more "stress" than that, YMMV.
I don't think you and I ever agree on much except disagreeing
Originally Posted by ratdoc
+1 on that. After finding the pressure sweet spot, I really like my stock shocks. They're noticeably stiffer than my '02, but the bike handles better and I prefer being able to feel the road. This might just boil down to personal preference - some guys like a stiffer ride and some like it as cushy as possible.
I never noticed how much they sucked until I bought my CVO and got to see the difference. If you don't know what you are missing, not a big deal.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I don't think you and I ever agree on much except disagreeing

I never noticed how much they sucked until I bought my CVO and got to see the difference. If you don't know what you are missing, not a big deal.

Awww. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings!

Seriously, though, I may (sort of) agree with you that it depends on your expectations and what you are comparing them to. I came to the Road King from a Sportster and am very happy with the ride and the shocks with 17,000+ miles on them since last December when I traded "up." You might be right that I wouldn't be as pleased if I compared them to a CVO , but what I don't know won't hurt me.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Awww. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings!

Seriously, though, I may (sort of) agree with you that it depends on your expectations and what you are comparing them to. I came to the Road King from a Sportster and am very happy with the ride and the shocks with 17,000+ miles on them since last December when I traded "up." You might be right that I wouldn't be as pleased if I compared them to a CVO , but what I don't know won't hurt me.
Now that I will agree with you on. And from a sporty to a FL model, no wonder it doesn't bother you LOL. I did almost the same I went from a Softail to a 09 FLHX huge upgrade, then I upgraded to the FLHXSE so again, another huge upgrade. The stock shocks on the 09 didn't bother me but I noticed a real nice improvement on the CVO

Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't really hate my stock air shocks, but I can't just seem to find a sweet spot that feels mostly good. Not hating made it real hard to justify $600-$800 for Ohlins/JRI's, or $450 for Progressive 444's. So .. I negotiated a deal on the forum here for some 13.5" 440's that hopefully might be worth the couple hundred $$ investment? Being in Wisconsin, I won't know till April ....

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by troop
I don't really hate my stock air shocks, but I can't just seem to find a sweet spot that feels mostly good. Not hating made it real hard to justify $600-$800 for Ohlins/JRI's, or $450 for Progressive 444's. So .. I negotiated a deal on the forum here for some 13.5" 440's that hopefully might be worth the couple hundred $$ investment? Being in Wisconsin, I won't know till April ....
Only bad thing about winter upgrades lol gotta wait to try em out!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,668 Likes on 1,087 Posts

?????
As well significant changes with oil viscosity.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ur-shocks.html

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by troop
C'mon, it's 45 out and gorgeous today...(well, for a cloudy, January day).

Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ratdoc
C'mon, it's 45 out and gorgeous today...(well, for a cloudy, January day).
42*/.5 mile visibility with fog today. Highs in single digits next week

Attached Thumbnails Shock crazy!    2008 vs 2012 WTF?-mvc-001f.jpg  

Last edited by troop; 01-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Only bad thing about winter upgrades lol gotta wait to try em out!
Gee, if I had year round riding, I wouldn't have the down time to do any mods? BUT, I'd save quite a few bucks each winter

Quick Reply: Shock crazy! 2008 vs 2012 WTF?