Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal for bars install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
jma100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dealer quoted me $965 for parts and $765 labor!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought everything from HCC. 18 inch chubby apes, all stainless braided cables, internally wired with the connectors and everything done. All chrome switches and housings and hand controls. Only thing that was not included were grips. I know there has been some less than positive stuff said about HCC by some folks, but i can say that from my own experience, they were great, everything was right and i'm happy. I installed them on my 2000 road king myself... smoke breaks and procrastination not counted, probably took me about 3 hours. With the wiring and everything done, the biggest pain in the *** is getting the exhaust out of the way to switch out the clutch cable. All said and done i paid about 800 bucks. I'm not intending to be condecending when i say, get yourself a harley shop and parts manual for your bike and start takin on some of this stuff yourself. You'll likely be surprised at what you actually can do, and how much you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
I recently went through a similar situation. My bars cost more and I paid for 7 hours of labor @ $80. I spent a bit less. However, I had several quotes for HD dealers that put the cost at 1400-1600. I believe I spent about 960.

I might be like the OP and don't have tools, time or the skills to do the job. When I polled the similar questions a few guys told me that they did it themselves but spent 20+ hours on their first time.

Most forum members seem to also be mechanics who never spend money on service or their ride, but I guess I am in the minority and just shop my service jobs around.
Well I am with you. I only do work on my ride that I am comfortable with. I dont see any shame in finding a trustworthy wrench and supporting that local small business. I cant stand the dealer pricing. It is just short of robbery IMO.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anybody used Bagger Werx bars ? I found a complete bar, wires, etc. all done up ready to go and free shipping for $500

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
RonT1972
Cruiser

I dunno bud Im a newbie and never been mechanically inclined day one I bent the apes on my sporty I went to the dealership the parts guy looked at the mess I had gave me the parts Id need to buy and told me the shop was backed up about 6 weeks but assured me that I could do most of it myself. I was worried but figured Id try got a manual, took cell piucs at each point of the breakdown installed new risers bars re wired and saudered the wires amazingly got it all back together and it worked out. I work alot myself average 60 hours a week but got it done in two days pittling and it worked out ok. Not much needed in the way of tools either, a few wrenches, a set of allen wrenches a saudering iron and the parts I needed was really a piece of cake to do. Its weird after doing that and a couple othere things on my bike I wish I had more to do to it it was fun wrenching on it(not at all like a car) Been thinking about buying a project bike now just to tinker with and style out a lil bit. If I can do it ANYBODY can

Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1,000 is out of line period.
You can have custom bars with all internal wiring and other features added for 1k$

Find a local shop or mechanic and get his number, call him and ask him if he does work on weekends or on the side, you can get it done for a lot less, maybe 1/2.

Or find a buddy slightly more mechanically inclined and have him help you, it is actually very simple and not difficult to do yourself.

Im ordering custom bars made for me from a very well known builder, sending them to another company to add a custom internal system that includes clutch and throttle, etc.. so it is truly no cables showing at all in front adding functions for audio and incorporating my existing cruise control and even leaving me one unused switch on either side in case I want to add something later, all done, powder coated and shipped to me ready to mount for 2500$ which is a lot of money but the parts alone are $1k.

Anyway a few years ago I went to a local bike shop that does everything for nearly all bikes, I just wanted to take off my bars and add beach bars, everything else the same, they wanted about $1k so I never did it, I figured bars for 200$ and a few cables that $700 or more for a couple hours of labor was ridiculous and was way too much.

Lump

Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
brainnectar
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion.....NUCKING FUTS!!!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I don't think it is nuts but you have lots of ideas here. What did you decide?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod King
ok ive done some checking and from LA Choppers, just for the bars,cables, etc. Im in $600 already. Get the local indy to wire and what not and lets say for 250... Im at 850. While I agree 10hrs is crazy, total price Im not that far off. I did ask them to see if they could get closer to 700-800 total. We'll see what they say.
Hope you get some good news from HD. If not id say that 800-850 is much more reasonable