Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal for bars install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need everything on there. The only thing that is really even "optional" are the polyurethane riser bushings and one piece clamp, but i highly recommend using them. Now as far as the cost goes, like i said, you may be able to save a bill or two by going with an indy or ordering stuff yourself through aftermarket vendors. That $450 for labor though (dont know how it takes them 10 hours?!? they better be wiring the bars internally if it takes that long) you wont get away from, an indy might do it cheaper/quicker but its still gonna cost a hell of a lot more than diy.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
quigley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but, why do you need a new 1204-3705 1 DUAL LOWER BRAKE L. $91.16 $91.16? Wouldnt you just need to replace the top brake line?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by quigley
Maybe I'm missing something but, why do you need a new 1204-3705 1 DUAL LOWER BRAKE L. $91.16 $91.16? Wouldnt you just need to replace the top brake line?
I dont know about '06, but my 90 was a one piece (the two lowers,manifold,and upper were all together). I guess you could cut and flare the top line of the manifold then install a fitting to run a new upper line, but harley is not going to do that. I pieced mine all together with separate chrome/braided pieces and by the time i got 3 fittings, 3lines, and the manifold it was probably $100 to extend the front brake line.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
quigley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
I dont know about '06, but my 90 was a one piece (the two lowers,manifold,and upper were all together). I guess you could cut and flare the top line of the manifold then install a fitting to run a new upper line, but harley is not going to do that. I pieced mine all together with separate chrome/braided pieces and by the time i got 3 fittings, 3lines, and the manifold it was probably $100 to extend the front brake line.
That would make sense if there was only one part #. He is showing a part # for the top line and a part # for the bottom dual line.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

That would make sense if there was only one part #. He is showing a part # for the top line and a part # for the bottom dual line.
It looks like harley doesnt sell a one-piece extended front line/manifold, and theyre installing a multiple peice setup like mine.

Its a kit made by "magnum", the lower lines and manifold are one peice (one part #) and you choose an upper line (the other part #) for your bar height. The kit they spec'd is chrome, and the price theyre charging is about what you would pay aftermarket.

Attached Thumbnails Good deal for bars install ?-1204-3701.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Anyway, my bottom line on the price is NO, thats not a good deal, a little on the pricey side at best. The 10hrs labor doesnt sound right, so you should look at other shops and compare labor cost. The parts are going to cost you about the same anywhere give or take a hundred bucks.
If you can get down into the $600-$700 range installed i would consider that "good", itll take some bargain shopping and a reasonable rate for labor but its possible.

If you want to pay any less than that, start reading diy ape install threads

Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
quigley
Tourer

Frankenbagger bear with me, sometimes it takes me a while to get something. So if the brake line is in two pieces and you are changing the length on the top line with the longer bars, and manifold and lower lines remain the same, again why do you need to replace the lower lines and manifold? Are you saying that the stock lines and manifold are one piece therefore thats why you need both?

Last edited by quigley; 01-10-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Frankenbagger bear with me, sometimes it takes me a while to get something. So if the brake line is in two pieces and you are changing the length on the top line with the longer bars, and manifold and lower lines remain the same, again why do you need to replace the lower lines and manifold?
No problem, sometimes im a poor at explaining..

The original is a one-piece design (upper and lower together, CANNOT separate them to lengthen one line) and harley does not make a new one-piece with a longer upper.

The only other option is to buy a new multiple-piece setup (manifold and lower lines CAN be separated from the upper line on these) with a longer upper line to connect to it.

In other words... you cant reuse the factory lower lines and manifold, the original upper line is permanently attached to them

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 01-10-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
quigley
Tourer

Got it. Thank you for your patience. I'm going with apes on my 05 Road King and want to be ready with everything on hand to do the job in one day.
Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
10 hours? Ok I see, they haven't got a clue what they are doing and you get to pay for their training.
Love it.

Quick Reply: Good deal for bars install ?