Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tall rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
03 ultra classic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tall rider

I bought an 03 ultra last year and need some advice on making it more comfortable for a tall rider. I'm 6'5", 280lbs. I'm already planning on a tallboy seat from HD, and I am considering extended reach controls. The heel shifter is already gone. Any help out there?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM
cpita
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'6 w/ a 38" inseam, I put a T/B seat on mine and made a big difference. Up about an inch and back about 2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 6'5" and have extended floorboards, extended shift & brake levers and Harley Goodies extensions. C&C Solo seat which sits me down and back. The TallBoy was to fugly for me. I want to sit IN the bike not ON top of it. Plan on having 10' Yaffe MBB put on soon.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
mattbee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'04 245lbs, tried the Tall-Boy seat, for me it was worthless! Mini-Apes and a Le Pera (King Cobra In Full Leather & Gel Insert) seat, worked wonders! Arms up and out some, and a seat where I can sit as far back as I want on it, in my book means comfort

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 6'3" and I tried the tallboy for 50 miles. Moves you back which was fine but the inch or so up sucked big time. It actually put my hands to sleep if you can believe that!

Sundowner seat is the way to go. Floorboard extensions is another help

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

6"3' and my combo is CnC fastback shaved back an extra inch and sante 11" apes. Perfect now.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

6'3' 275 32" inseam. I hated the Tallboy and could not get it and the stupid beach bars off it fast enough.It was very uncomfortabe and I felt like I was was on top of the bike.This was On my last bike, a 2004 Road King Classic. I was very happy with the comfort for all day riding with a Sundowner and Heritage bars. On the "new" 2004 Road King Police I have a Corbin Dual Tour with whatever bars are on a cop bike, not sure I like them yet, they are slightly bent but I like the width and the grip angle is cloe I just wish they were a little taller. The Corbin is quite different than the sundowner but I like the way I feel more in the bike. I am not a fan tall apes but may try some shorter ones like 10's ? All said in Road kings I have tried the stock seat, Tallboy, Pillow, Sundowner, Cop air seat, and the Corbin Dual Tour. Remember comfort is a very subjective thing. If I could give you advice it would be to go to some bike events, bike night, HOG ride or something. Talk to owners of bikes similar to yours and ask them about their seat and bars and such. Unless they are a complete ******** they should let you sit on the bike and see how it feels to you. I live in a low population area and it was a ride to do tis but it sure was helpful. Or if you see someone with their bike in a parking lot or driveway stop and talk to them, I had a few folks offer to let me take their scoot for a ride around the block !!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I'm 6'5" and have extended floorboards, extended shift & brake levers and Harley Goodies extensions. C&C Solo seat which sits me down and back. The TallBoy was to fugly for me. I want to sit IN the bike not ON top of it. Plan on having 10' Yaffe MBB put on soon.
I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam...not neatly as tall as you but these are the exact changes I made...extended both the heal and toe shifters, floorboard extensions (kuryakyn), C&C solo (and the large matching pillion). Additionally, I extended the break pedal to compensate for the floor board extension. I also put on WO 16" apes on the RKC and I fits perfectly. I do have the Tall boy seat, but I'm really not too thrilled by it. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Sundowner.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

16" apes, air ride cop seat and some long swing out highway pegs. OH, I'm 6-9.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

6'-3" 32" inseam too fat to mention. '07 FLHR,
I cut down the floor board arms where the board attaches and drilled new mounting holes so my boards are flat, not the incline like stock. I got rid of the engine guard and put on Kuryakyn long arm cruise bars and switchblade pegs. These arms and pegs can articulate into a comfortable spot like forward controls but you keep you floorboards as well.

I got an old Electraglide seat and kept adding/ removing foam until comfortable then had the seat recovered. I plan on goin to 16" apes next, 12" too short...

Quick Reply: tall rider