Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag lock fabrication?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 07:29 PM
Radical
|
Tourer
Default Saddlebag lock fabrication?

While spending time with my 07 RKC I noticed that the saddlebags can be removed very easily...not news to you I know......however I don't want them to come off easily......so I searched "locks" and they all seemed worthless....has anyone fabricated something to take the place of the the 2 1/4 turn screws that hold them on so they cannot be removed without a tool or a key for lock? What's the best way to secure them to the bike. I must admit I've rode all over the U.S. and never had a problem however these just offer too much of an opportunity for theft.

Old 02-05-2007 | 07:31 PM
SubZer0
Road Master
Default RE: Saddlebag lock fabrication?

How about bolts and nuts?

Old 02-05-2007 | 07:42 PM
smknflms
Road Master

Never paid much attention to bags on RK, don't the bags lock?
Damn, if I had known that I wouldn't have kept my jacket, glasses and junk in my bud's bags at Daytona.

Later

Old 02-05-2007 | 08:01 PM
t_m34
Tourer

The most effective wayis to buy a saddlebag lock (locking the bag to the bike). I don't think they're that expensive. HD carries them.

I knew a guy who came up with a system on his Shovelhead in which he bolted the bags on and put small luggage locks through holes in the ends of the bolts (drilled in like cotter pin holes). The bolts could be backed off only a few threads. Plus he used bag liners with handles so he never really needed to take the saddlebags off; he would just pull the liners up and walk into the motel room like they were luggage.

Anyone with a good tool box with cutters could go through one of those small locks fairly easily, I'm sure, but it was a good deterant. When I'm at a motel I just take the saddlebags completely off the bike and bring them into the room with me at night. That's the best protection.

Old 02-05-2007 | 08:24 PM
fishafly
Road Master

Have you looked HERE My buddy had these on his RKC and you couldn't even tell they were there... He seemed to like 'em alot, and theyworked well too..

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:33 PM
Radical
|
Tourer

I'm not concerned about what they steal in the bag, I just don't want anyone to be able to steal the bag itself.

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:40 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fishafly

Have you looked HERE My buddy had these on his RKC and you couldn't even tell they were there... He seemed to like 'em alot, and theyworked well too..
Those are nifty.... haven't seen that set before.

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:46 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: t_m34

The most effective wayis to buy a saddlebag lock (locking the bag to the bike). I don't think they're that expensive. HD carries them.

I knew a guy who came up with a system on his Shovelhead in which he bolted the bags on and put small luggage locks through holes in the ends of the bolts (drilled in like cotter pin holes). The bolts could be backed off only a few threads. Plus he used bag liners with handles so he never really needed to take the saddlebags off; he would just pull the liners up and walk into the motel room like they were luggage.

Anyone with a good tool box with cutters could go through one of those small locks fairly easily, I'm sure, but it was a good deterant. When I'm at a motel I just take the saddlebags completely off the bike and bring them into the room with me at night. That's the best protection.
I agree completely with this method. All you need is a small deterent. There has been an increase in bag theft at Street Vibes in Reno over the past few years. I was talking to a cop last year down there. They pull up to a row of bikes in a van, 5 or 6 people jump out,and get as many as they can in about 10 seconds. Broad daylight and night, doesn't matter.

Old 02-05-2007 | 11:17 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Just take the bail wire off the saddlebag bolt. The thief will have to have a screwdriver to get the bag off. Even if the bag is locked shut, it is easy enough to steal the bags. You can use a 7/16 wrench to take the 2 bolts that hold the hardware on the struts out in about a minute. You can do it even faster if you are using a Gearwrench.

Old 02-05-2007 | 11:19 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fishafly

Those things are near worthless for locking Classic bags. They just hold down the front. A 4 year old can raise the back of the lid and fold it over so you can get the stuff out of the bag.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag lock fabrication?