Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's and Cons and opinions on stretched bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013 | 07:39 AM
prophet32
|
Intermediate

thanks guys alot of good info here...

Old 01-10-2013 | 07:45 AM
prophet32
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docsking
I don't understand the the extended bag and fender craze. Why pay big money to hide your sweet looking pipes and have to worry about riding aggressively?
one i dont like the stock wheels so that just one less wheel i got to buy just cover it up wit a clean draped look in th back and also harley pipes arent sweet looking unless u to a uniniqe design on the side of the engine which is super loud and not the best for gas mileage or performance other than that they all look the same except the tips which u can still see i get ur point about having to watch how u corner but with all things in likfe there is give and take... bags make bike look 10 times better thaan any pipe u can put on there and more room for those long trips

Last edited by prophet32; 01-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Randy Sellers (02-26-2021)
Old 01-10-2013 | 08:00 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by prophet32
This may have been discussed before but i couldnt find it so here we go...

I am looking to stretch my bags on my 2010 road king and i know the look i want that aint really the problem.

I want to know how these bags affect ride in the different lengths. I dont want to turn my bike into a trailer queen i def ride

so i want the full draped look dont even want to see my rear tire at all... how much does this effect cornering and ride? do i need to modify suspension to get this look or to keep from ruining the bags..

also open to pics of ur bags and what model and where u got ur bags and enders from as i am shopping around

I'm looking at the 4 inch stretched bags from cyclevision so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Old 01-10-2013 | 08:33 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by blazink5
I'm aggressive rider so I went with 4.5" TopShop Viper cut bags so I won't scrape. Just finished mock fitting them and the rear fender.

Nice.

Old 01-10-2013 | 08:34 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter

I don't see stretched bags as a "craze". I just prefer the look of them. Personally, I don't like seeing the swingarm, bag rails, etc. The bags I got will juuuust cover all that stuff but not the whole pipe.

Old 01-10-2013 | 08:36 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JY Kelly
I don't see stretched bags as a "craze". I just prefer the look of them. Personally, I don't like seeing the swingarm, bag rails, etc. The bags I got will juuuust cover all that stuff but not the whole pipe.
Yeah really I look at it much simpler I guess. Put 2 of the same bikes next to each other one with stretched bags, one without, I am going to like the one with stretched bags better everytime. Covers up the garbage and has a nice, clean, flowing look IMO.

Old 01-10-2013 | 10:24 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I want stretched but haven't yet decided which ones. I know I want the FBI fender unless someone else is now making a full fender that looks just like it. I'm leaning towards Bad Dads latch-less bags but until I see a set in person am worried that the internal hardware will get in the way of putting things in the bags. I also hate the price and hoping that price will go down once the latch-less novelty is gone. Those're expensive buggers!

Old 01-10-2013 | 10:47 AM
PistOnBroke2
6th Gear

prophet32
I was concerned with corning issues (contact) if I fitted extend bags, like many, my floorboards make contact with road when I am in an "aggressive riding mode". So before I forked out big dollars on stretched bags, I took an afternoon to conducted a few tests. You may laugh at this but it worked for me. I taped wooded paint stirrer sticks to the side of my bags (measured from the bottom of the bag to the bottom of the stick) and made several test rides along my favorite section of twisty blacktop. First trip was with empty saddle bags, next was with fully loaded s/b. I then added a loaded tourpac. NB as the load increased I adjusted the shock air pressure settings as per HD instructions. The final test ride was with a 140 lbs passenger and all the gear..... this test did produce a few splinters! However it is not often that I run fast n hard when fully loaded and two up, especially on unfamiliar twisty roads. New rear shocks will fix this problem, but try increasing the pressure on your shocks first. You may find this is enough. I went with BADDAD's stretched bags and fender. I run a 18" 180 rear tire. My ride is an '08 FLHX.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2013 | 01:50 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

When I get my CVO 1"into3" stretched bags back from the painter and installed, I'll post pix and a ride report.

Stay tuned!

Attached Thumbnails Pro's and Cons and opinions on stretched bags-stretched2.jpg   Pro's and Cons and opinions on stretched bags-stretched3.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013 | 04:07 PM
blazink5
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Nice.
thanks man. can't wait to get her painted.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Cons and opinions on stretched bags