Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do my soft lowers have a Temperature restriction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Do my soft lowers have a Temperature restriction?

Hello everyone.

I have some soft lowers made by Hopnel that I use in the winter. I have had these for 6 years or so and looks like the newer models say no temperature restriction. Does anyone know if mine are restricted? It would be nice to use them in the summer if Im caught in the rain. I know, why ask now after 6 years? It's just been on my mind lately.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is. As long as there is a way for air to get to the cylinders, you should be good to go. I know that some say to remove them when the temps get above 50 degrees F. But I have yet to see anyone yanking off the hard lowers from the Ultras during the summer.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

50ºF

the soft lowers ( or crash bar covers), do not channel the air, they cause a huge amount of turbulence, drastically reducing air flow to the motor- the voltage regulator and the oil cooler (if equipped). The turbulent air just kinda boils and roils off to the sides.

the air coming off of the front wheel and fender is pretty turbulent as well.

hard lowers "order" air to the motor causing increased air flow. My own testing at 105º ambient temperatures, show the oil temperatures 25º cooler WITH the lowers in place.

however the increased air flow and heat removed from the motor can increase the "blow dryer effect" felt by the rider on the thighs

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is. As long as there is a way for air to get to the cylinders, you should be good to go. I know that some say to remove them when the temps get above 50 degrees F. But I have yet to see anyone yanking off the hard lowers from the Ultras during the summer.
Yea, that "some" would be the manufacturer. Harley recommends that they be removed when temperatures are above 50 degrees F'

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
50ºF

the soft lowers ( or crash bar covers), do not channel the air, they cause a huge amount of turbulence, drastically reducing air flow to the motor- the voltage regulator and the oil cooler (if equipped). The turbulent air just kinda boils and roils off to the sides.

the air coming off of the front wheel and fender is pretty turbulent as well.

hard lowers "order" air to the motor causing increased air flow. My own testing at 105º ambient temperatures, show the oil temperatures 25º cooler WITH the lowers in place.

however the increased air flow and heat removed from the motor can increase the "blow dryer effect" felt by the rider on the thighs

mike
Thanks Mike. Makes sense. I always thought the same as Danny's thinking.

I don't know why I couldn't find these, but just found a link to the ones I have. They don't say anything about temps
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/702-196#

Here is a link to desert dawgs with no temp restriction. I don't see how these pass more air. They look to be the same width.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/dese...-street-glide/

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Don't know anything about those products, the 1st says "protects from weather" the second says "rain guards".
Both of those suggest temporary use.

and they might have a notice on the box.

harley has deeper pockets to protect and makes model-specific recommendations, so has a good reason to say "below 50ºF"

mike

Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
OH Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Lowers

I can only speak from my own personal experience: On my EGC when it started raining while on a trip, I stopped and put on the soft lowers. The rain eventually subsided, the sun came out and the temps started rising. Within minutes the motor started running poorly ( missing) and I immediately pulled over and removed the soft lowers. After doing so, the bike started running just fine!

Lesson learned: When the temps get above 55 degrees, remove the soft lowers!

The H-D hard lowers are designed to funnel the air over the cylinders, whereas the soft lowers tend to destroy the airflow over the cylinders.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

on my 05 i would use em up tp 70 without a problem but that bike ran MUCH cooler than my 07,on my 07 i wouldn't use em above 40.just depends on your particular bike,that all run different.harley tolerances aren't all that tight and depending on how far from center and wich way on every engine component u can see huge difference in 2 same year and model.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Smokengun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all good to know. I was thinking about getting soft lowers. Now not so much. Good reading. Thanks all.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smokengun
This is all good to know. I was thinking about getting soft lowers. Now not so much. Good reading. Thanks all.
They are good for the winter. I have always taken them off during warmer weather and will continue to do so. Thank you everyone for your inputs!

Quick Reply: Do my soft lowers have a Temperature restriction?