Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trailer wiring question.

Just purchased trailer without electric brakes, and wire loom has six wire plug. Want a chrome plug but only can find 5 pin type. What are my options?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
JerryS63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If just turn signals and running lights on trailer rewire it to use the 5 pin setup. The more typical is either the 7 pin travel trailer plug or the flat 4 pin plug.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 6th one may be just a ground wire.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RVTRKN
Just purchased trailer without electric brakes, and wire loom has six wire plug. Want a chrome plug but only can find 5 pin type. What are my options?
I am going to guess that the 6th wire is an auxiliary feed power to the trailer. Are there any 12 volt ports/sockets inside that trailer?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default wiring

You only need 4 wires. The green will be l turn, the yellow will be r turn, the brown will be parking, and the white will be ground. you can let the others hang or just cut them off. Get a typical four prong flat connector set and change both ends Its pretty easy

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
RVTRKN
Cruiser

Well totally confused now, plug and play harness has 4 wire plug that plugs into isolation harness and between the rear light harness plugs. The isolation harness wires to battery & chassis ground, (two neg and one fused positive) So pos goes to pos (batt) and 1 black goes to neg (batt) and the other goes to chassis ground. That leaves 4 wires to trailer plug that is supposed to go to a six wire plug going to a 5 wire trailer harness, which are Green, Brown, Yellow, Red, White.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Default wiring

The wire in question would be the red, wondering if trailer has surge brakes. I would try to follow red to wherever or test with test light or meter to see what it is for. sorry thats all i can help with from here.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Default wiring

Just another thought, GOOGLE 6 wire trailer hookup and see what you get

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Concours
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they gave you a six-wire harness, one wire is an extra if you want to run auxiliary power to the trailer (or for electric brakes); if you don't need it, leave it in the harness unused, you don't have to hook it to anything. The other five wires, in keeping with what most motorcycles use (including HD) are one for ground, one for running lights, one for brake lights, one for left turn, and one for right turn. How many wires on the trailer side? Trailer side will determine what you need to do as far as wriing. If five, then the above applies.

Both my trailers, (Bushtec Roadstar cargo trailer and Bunkhouse camper) are six wire, with the sixth wire for either brakes or auxiliary power...I've never used the sixth wire on either trailer, but the wire is the harness on the trailer side and the bike side (but not hooked to anything other than the connectors trailer and bike side). It's not like the extra wire takes up room you're going need for something else

For a six pin harness and plug, check with Bushtec (www.bushtec.com)
http://www.bushtec.com/product-p/99701000.htm
http://www.bushtec.com/product-p/99703000.htm
http://www.bushtec.com/product-p/99705000.htm
.. they have flat six set up. But if you don't need the sixth wire, any automotive, farm/fleet, or big box store will have a round five set up and you can simply put the new plug on the trailer side; you can order flat five plugs on-line (some automotive and RV stores carry them as well).

Last edited by Concours; 01-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
RVTRKN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RVTRKN
Green, Brown, Yellow, Red, White.
These are the colors on the trailer side. I was hoping I didn't have to trace them down, but if I do, I have the ability. I want the chrome 5 pin plug if I can. And just plug it in to the back of the bike. I like a clean look without wires dangling, just a pet peeve of mine.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring question.