Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?

New to HD baggers with a 2012 Ultra LTD and plan on doing a stage 1 piecemeal as my wallet recovers. Read in one of the threads (so much reading I can't find it again) that a good tactic was to start from the back and move forward with changes. From what I've read so far it seems like heat should be the first area addressed, thus a new header or decatted OEM. If performance improvement comes more from providing more air it would appear that AC would be next. Of course that means some form of tuning, therefore more dollars sooner. All said and done it seems that maybe working from the inside out would work well.

The bike is snug in the garage and probably won't see pavement until March. Any suggestions about an approach and components recommendations greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dobe66; 01-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion I would look into a Fuelmoto or Dragos power package. I know you said piece meal but it would be easier to just save and be done. Got plenty of time sounds like.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy, here it comes!
Stage one usually consists of exhaust, high flow air filter, and tune or download. Thats pretty much it. The sky's the limit on exhaust and a/c options. It depends on what you wanna spend. You may want to consider gutting your cat (you'll get mixed opinions on that). I did mine and am very happy, and it didn't cost me anything to do it. Or just get a new head pipe altogether and some slipons. Lots of info here on the subject. Fuel Moto is a great place to start and so is this forum. Jamie at FM is very friendly, knowledgable and is a forum sponsor. My advice is just do it all together and get it done. Hard to do it piece meal in my opinion cuz you won't get the results you want til its done, but if you have to, do pipes first.

Last edited by Harleydaddy; 01-08-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

It's all a matter of personal preference(s) on intake (mod/swap, open/closed, type), exhaust (full vs. pipes, 2-1, TD's, header mod, etc.) and tuning ability (piggyback, plug-in, manual, display). Depends on what you plan to accomplish to meet your bike's desired capabilities. Only limiting factors are funds, knowledge, resources (facility, tools) and time. Still a lot of winter left so time to research...

BTW, I elected for:

- LA Choppers xXx A/C
- Bub-7 TD's (black)
- Dobeck EJK GEN3 Tuner

Bike runs/sounds great & getting ~45 MPG's so I'm pleased. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,235 Likes on 2,466 Posts

If you're going to do it piecemeal, do the exhaust first. When you do the air cleaner you will need to do the tune at the same time.

There are so many exhaust choice, first step is to decide on what look and sound you want, and then go from there.

Congrats on the new ride!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

[quote=DK Custom;10740010]If you're going to do it piecemeal, do the exhaust first. When you do the air cleaner you will need to do the tune at the same time.

There are so many exhaust choice, first step is to decide on what look and sound you want, and then go from there.

+1 that is the order I would do it also.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At 68 my hearings pretty shot already (too many loud bangs and dives) but I'd like to keep what I've got. I pretty much like the look as it sits with some additional chrome just for fun. Not really into any bike builder type appearance mods. Most of the riding will be two up for longer rides. Retired so I have the time and basic mechanical skills, but limited funds. What I've discovered about HD is that both the good and the bad is having so many choices.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
At 68 my hearings pretty shot already (too many loud bangs and dives) but I'd like to keep what I've got. I pretty much like the look as it sits with some additional chrome just for fun. Not really into any bike builder type appearance mods. Most of the riding will be two up for longer rides. Retired so I have the time and basic mechanical skills, but limited funds. What I've discovered about HD is that both the good and the bad is having so many choices.
If you are not changing mufflers, the price is pretty reasonable. 140 for a SE Aircleaner, gut the cat for almost free. (about 40 to have a welder patch the window or free if you drill it) and 300 for a PC V from Fuel Moto. Total 480.00. This is assuming that you can do all the work yourself, and as it is very basic, you should have no problems. This will cool the bike down, get rid of the ping, and give you a few extra horses for your two up riding.

Bill

Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

As others have stated, "save up enough $ and do it all". Simply put, go to the FuelMoto website and get the entire package (Full System Exhaust, Intake & Power Commander) all of these items are what a Stage 1 upgrade consists of.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I am also planning a phased Stage 1. This thread, and the referenced article, recommend that if you are doing a stage 1 in steps that you do the air cleaner first. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...r-exhaust.html

As I understand it from the research I have done, the stock mufflers can handle the increased air flow. The primary restriction point is the air intake. That's what I intend to do first--SE A/C and a download. I'll post again after I do it (although you may have made the decision by then).

Quick Reply: Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?