Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OP - you can do it piecemeal and save a lot of money if you are patient. I did the Stage 1 Air Cleaner first. Bought from Harley but waited until it was on sale. Reg price $140 plus tax. I paid $100 plus tax. I rode the bike this way for about 5000 miles before I bought exhaust. So you don't need to remap contrary to what some others have said. No real change in performance but you could tell the bike was breathing a little easier.
Then I waited until I knew exactly what exhaust I wanted and bought it for a steal. Samson 2-1 pipe with the quiet baffle. MSRP $800 from Samson, I bought off e-bay for $199 still in the box, then paid another $140 for the quiet baffle. Again no remap but I didn't ride it much because I assumed it needed a remap and I wasn't willing to risk a burned valve or piston.
I called Fuelmoto and ordered up a Power Vision paid full price for that at $499 plus shipping. Told Jamie what I had and what my future mods would be. He loaded maps for both.
Eventually added 204 cams and remapped. Bought the cams from one of the many dealerships that offer 20% off on all purchases. Hale's HD Mansfield Ohio in this case but there are alot of others that do the same thing. I get good service from them so that's who I use. Around $120 for the cams and $300 for the install from my trusted Indy.
In retrospect, and hindsight being 20/20, I should have just gutted the cat and run the stock mufflers as that would probably be quieter than what I have now. I want the performance but would still like to listen to the stereo on the highway and the Samson pipe is still too loud even with the quiet baffle.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alrighty then....if you want to spend in segements, I suggest that you go with the mufflers first. Keep everything forward of the mufflers "as is." From there, go with a head pipe system or decatted exhaust. I prefer going with an aftermarket head pipe. But be forewarned that when you "free up" the exhaust, you'll need a non-OE intake/breather system along with a fuel management system. This upgrade segment will cost you as much, if not, more than the cost of your aftermarket head pipe system. As others have already pointed out, the whole enchalada will set you back around $1k. You can keep an eye out in the classifieds section of the forum for pre-owned systems and consider going that route to save money too. Good luck. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

If you haven't yet put some miles on your bike (800 to 1000) than select what kind of exhaust you want (2 into 1, 2 into 2, slip ons, or a mixture like V and H power duals with rinehart slip ons) than choose an air cleaner and a tuner. I suggest while your wallet is recovering you take that time to carefully select what you want so you don't wast any money on something you regret later getting.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the deal, fellas. If you change the exhaust first, the bike will be even MORE lean than from the factory. THE bottleneck on airflow on a Harley is the exhaust. The stock A/C outflows that exhaust by like a bunch.

So... advising or doing and exhaust without addressing the tune is NOT the way to go.

You can swap A/Cs to hearts content and NOT need a tuning device, but once anything on the exhaust side is switched?

Now, everyone will chime in that THEY did it and it is all good and runs perfect. How do YOU know? Do you have a set of wide bands to read the ACTUAL mixture out of the bike? I do.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Here's the deal, fellas. If you change the exhaust first, the bike will be even MORE lean than from the factory. THE bottleneck on airflow on a Harley is the exhaust. The stock A/C outflows that exhaust by like a bunch.

So... advising or doing and exhaust without addressing the tune is NOT the way to go.

You can swap A/Cs to hearts content and NOT need a tuning device, but once anything on the exhaust side is switched?

Now, everyone will chime in that THEY did it and it is all good and runs perfect. How do YOU know? Do you have a set of wide bands to read the ACTUAL mixture out of the bike? I do.
Not me brother, I did that once in '10 with a RKC I had, I changed the slip-ons and A/C and was told by the manufacturer of the pipes that as long as the cat was in I'd be good, and my pipes turned yellow. Then they wouldn't back up their claims and replace them. NEVER again, lol.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

for my 2011 103 SG:

V&H Dresser Duals (black), and V&H Blackout Rounds - $781 shipped
Kurakyn Hi-five Mach 2 (black) air cleaner - $238 shipped
V&H Fuelpak (new LCD version) - $223 shipped

looks good
sounds good
runs good

no more engine mods planned (or needed).

Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
If you haven't yet put some miles on your bike (800 to 1000) than select what kind of exhaust you want (2 into 1, 2 into 2, slip ons, or a mixture like V and H power duals with rinehart slip ons) than choose an air cleaner and a tuner. I suggest while your wallet is recovering you take that time to carefully select what you want so you don't wast any money on something you regret later getting.
Best advice. Ride it. Listen to other bikes with various exhausts. Save your money. Do it all once and get exactly what you are happy with and works well together.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm gonna be the odd one but there is more performance in a tune than pipe or A/C. I'd recommend a power vision from fuel-moto with proper maps for what ya plan. Then a A/C. If don't have a heat problem from the cat there is no reason to change the header for a stage 1, so slip-ons of your choice would be last. Of course that doesn't get ya the "loud pipes save lives" thing first.