Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
omaho5
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it all at one time. Go to saturday dealer events to listen and talk to people and bikes. You can decide then.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by omaho5
Do it all at one time. Go to saturday dealer events to listen and talk to people and bikes. You can decide then.
Many of you keep saying that, which is not at all responsive to the OP's question and therefore not helpful. The OP said his wallet couldn't handle doing it all at once. That is true for many. The question is what order to do it in if you are going to do it in steps. Let's hear some more answers (hopefully with reasoning behind it) to THAT question.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me, the factory CAT seems in my thinking seems to be the juggernaut that adds heat and impedes performance. So, step 1) I would gut the CAT.

Step 2)
A/C, improving this area helps once you have resolved the stock exhaust issue.

An EFI Tuner is required from what I have read after exhaust and A/C modification, others will chime in on this I am sure.

Step 3) address the tuner issue: I would contact Fuelmoto. They can provide assistance to you for this area. Fuelmoto also has some nice A/C intakes, and head pipe and exhaust choices which may work out for you if you decide after discussing your agenda with them, to save some $ up and go with say their head pipe and A/C tuner package.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by mgmmgm; 01-06-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: CRS
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Many of you keep saying that, which is not at all responsive to the OP's question and therefore not helpful. The OP said his wallet couldn't handle doing it all at once. That is true for many. The question is what order to do it in if you are going to do it in steps. Let's hear some more answers (hopefully with reasoning behind it) to THAT question.
I'm considering the same thing as OP. I've read a lot on the topic, and a '12 FLHTCU is my 5th Harley.

By stages, bang for buck considered, and as can be afforded: (1) Nightrider XiED or ViED for a bit more fuel to eliminate or lessen "ping"- only $120 or thereabouts; (2) mufflers - if you like sound; (3) air cleaner - some controversy, but consensus seems to be that ECM will adjust for this; (4) Power Vision tuner - make sure to remove XiED/ViED - and FuelMoto or other header to eliminate CAT.

I currently have (1), the XiED, on my '12 Ultra. No other mods as of yet, and I live in AZ where it is often pretty hot. Really hot. Damn hot. Africa hot. Rarely hear a ping. The XiED made a difference in that and throttle response (snappier).

In the coming week or two I will decide whether to drop about $1,500 for the whole works, or $1,000 for the mufflers, air cleaner and Power Vision, or just another $600 for V&H Classic Turndowns or Super Trapp Stout mufflers and an air cleaner to try out the theory that the ECM along with the XiED can handle it.

It seems that an air cleaner and good mufflers can generate about 7 -8 HP and about 7-9 foot pounds of torque. Head pipes with a tuner might get you 3-4 more than that. Give or take 2 or 3 pounds for those numbers - they are an amalgam of what I've read here. And you can find a thread to support whatever you want to do. I am kind of conservative, though I do tend to believe that the newer ECM can probably handle slip-ons and an air cleaner. Others disagree.

A big point to remember is that properly matching all of the components is important when you're going to do it all. And that means that some mufflers work better with full exhaust systems, and others with OEM headers, so be sure that the one chosen can move up as you do more to the bike.

Take it from me, an internet expert You can always trust us.

Last edited by rnothog; 01-06-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
alaskanadams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 limited and just had vance and hines true duals (dresser duals), twin slash 4"mufflers, arleen ness big sucker, and fuelpak installed. Sounds great, not rude, so much cooler. Getting rid of that cat was key. If you go to an independent harley shop you can get it all done for about $1600.00. Save up and do it all at once you won't regret it. At the harley dealer they wanted $2400.00.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
If you're going to do it piecemeal, do the exhaust first. When you do the air cleaner you will need to do the tune at the same time.

There are so many exhaust choice, first step is to decide on what look and sound you want, and then go from there.

Congrats on the new ride!
what he said!!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP- If you do it little by little you're going to spend more money in the long run. Many places like Dragos Bikeworks or Fuel Moto give heavy discounts when you buy the stage 1 complete from them. Just save your cash and do it at once. Sell some old stuff on ebay, do what it takes. Not that hard to come up with $1300-$1500.......

Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alabamaslammer
what he said!!
+1. I agree

Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,591 Likes on 22,694 Posts

Over-all though, if you can afford a 2012 Ultra, what's another $thousand?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
New to HD baggers with a 2012 Ultra LTD and plan on doing a stage 1 piecemeal as my wallet recovers. Read in one of the threads (so much reading I can't find it again) that a good tactic was to start from the back and move forward with changes. From what I've read so far it seems like heat should be the first area addressed, thus a new header or decatted OEM. If performance improvement comes more from providing more air it would appear that AC would be next. Of course that means some form of tuning, therefore more dollars sooner. All said and done it seems that maybe working from the inside out would work well.

The bike is snug in the garage and probably won't see pavement until March. Any suggestions about an approach and components recommendations greatly appreciated.
If you do indeed piece meal it, start where you feel the need.

What do you feel are the shortcomings? How about annoyances? Dont feel compelled to change this or that because some clown posted it on the forum.

There are guys who run them completely oem and are quite happy.

I began at the mufflers because I couldn't stand the sound out of the crate.

At about the 4 K mile mark they will loosen up and you will feel a little gain. I experienced this with my Dyna and am getting close @ 3300 with my EG.

It makes the most sense to follow it from where you feel the need, and if you don't feel its lacking, or annoying, just ride it.

Congrats, enjoy, and c'mon spring........

Quick Reply: Stage 1 in steps - where to begin?