Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help ID'ing Electrical component

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
kitehog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Help ID'ing Electrical component

I purchased a 08 FLHTC back in July one of the first things I did was change out the stereo. When I pulled the outer fairing I noticed a few "components" that are not identified in my service manual. I've done some research but can not figure out what they are.

Its probably something simple but I hate not knowing. Its obvious they were added after it was purchased because of the way they are mounted and wired in. This is definitely not a factory or even a dealer install.

The one component had a serial number that I googled but found nothing.

Anyway here are some pics, Im hoping someone can help me out

The two components are installed here

The first has nothing on the top but has a little light on the front right that will blink occasionally when it is bumped which makes me think it may be some type of an alarm system but I do not have a key fob and never needed to do anything special to start the bike

Here is the bottom

It is wired into two places one seems to go into the main harness and the other to a relay

Here is the relay

Here is where the other wires go

The other component has no numbers or marking and has a single wire bundle coming out of it that disappears into the main wire bundle in the fairing

Any help figuring out what these things are and if they actually need to be there would be greatly appreciated.

Its obvious to me that whoever owned the bike before me had done some work on it as it had a load equalizer in it for a LED headlight and the fairing speakers had been upgraded. Unfortunately I purchased the bike form a dealer (Non HD) and have no way of contacting the original owner.

Thanks Again
Greg

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

radio antenna ?

post the VIN, maybe the P/O is a forum member.

mike

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one is a spst relay (an electrically controlled switch), and the other possibly an LED controller-load equalizer.
Does it have aftermarket LED lighting?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 06 EG Standard I used a relay similar to that,so that I could control my passing lights in either hi or low beam.The other box seems to be some kind of motion sensor that requires to be mounted in a specific plane.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
The one is a spst relay (an electrically controlled switch), and the other possibly an LED controller-load equalizer.
Ditto.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I think it may have had LED lighting before I purchased it as I found a load equalizer behind the front fairing when I installed the stereo but it seems that either the previous owner or the dealer removed them because all the lighting is stock now

So that makes sense for the second one but the one with the blinking light attached to the spst still confuses me

Thanks all for the reply's so far

Last edited by kitehog; 01-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
radio antenna ?

post the VIN, maybe the P/O is a forum member.

mike
Definitely not a radio antenna

Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by dansflhti
On my 06 EG Standard I used a relay similar to that,so that I could control my passing lights in either hi or low beam.The other box seems to be some kind of motion sensor that requires to be mounted in a specific plane.
Thanks the 08 uses a "Aux Harness" to keep the passing lamps on with the Hi beams, I actually was installing it when I took the pics. It does seem that the other is motion or angle sensitive but Im still not sure what it does

Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If the light comes on when you bump it, it has to be a motion or shock sensor attached to a security system.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by vickers1
If the light comes on when you bump it, it has to be a motion or shock sensor attached to a security system.
I was looking at it again today and it seems that movement does not cause it to blink it just blinks all the time. It has a red light that blinks at a pretty constant rate and then a green light above it that is more random. I tried tapping on it and moving it upside down and it did not seem to change the rate of blinking.

I am thinking its part of a old security system so Im afraid to remove it in case it would cause the bike not to run

Quick Reply: Need Help ID'ing Electrical component