Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King Tour Pack Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
XZSCOTTZX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Tour Pack Question

I've searched with no luck so am hoping for some help.

I own a 2011 RKC that I'd like to buy a hard HD King Tour Pack for.

HD website states specific variation is required for a particular model and year touring bike. I'd have thought they were all the same...

Aren't all the tour packs the same with different quick-disconnect mounting based on model year?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

No
They are very dufferent
98-05 are fiberglass 06-08 Are in their own little world 09 and up have different mount grooves. 05 mount won't fit without mods also they are black abs not fiber glass. Have bought and sold over 20 paks in last year from 76-2011 many changes and options.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All that being said, it shouldn't be too difficult finding a set up that works on your bike. What's the problem?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM
XZSCOTTZX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrnone
No
They are very dufferent
98-05 are fiberglass 06-08 Are in their own little world 09 and up have different mount grooves. 05 mount won't fit without mods also they are black abs not fiber glass. Have bought and sold over 20 paks in last year from 76-2011 many changes and options.
Thanks. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
XZSCOTTZX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgdamore
All that being said, it shouldn't be too difficult finding a set up that works on your bike. What's the problem?
I'm sure the dealer could help me with no problem but I've been watching eBay - and just didn't want to pull the trigger on a used unit that won't be easily used.

I would like to find a good used (correct) tour pack to have painted with a set of hard bags I've bought.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by XZSCOTTZX
I've searched with no luck so am hoping for some help.

I own a 2011 RKC that I'd like to buy a hard HD King Tour Pack for.

HD website states specific variation is required for a particular model and year touring bike.
Ding! There you have it!
If you are set up with the 4 point system on your bike, shouldn't be too hard to get what you need.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

I've got a mid-80s gf tourpak and 2010 abs bags on my 1990 bike, in other words a little adaptation can make things fit. Glassfibre is stiffer than abs, so one reason the later abs tourpak is different may simply be to strengthen it. While it is obviously 'safer' to buy one intended for your bike, I'm sure someone here can advise on any problems with fitting an earlier version.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fwiw, I'd go with the ABS pack over the glass one. The ABS is flimsier, but it is also more forgiving. You can bend the ABS without cracking it. Not so much with the glass ones.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a RKC. Those bags won't open with a king tour pack. Since you will be installing hard bags...problem solved.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrnone
No
They are very dufferent
OP This is very good info BUT DONT overthink this tour pack purchase.Decide if you want fiberglass or ABS?Doesnt matter?Ok.Then decide if you want lights (Ultra) or No-lights(Classic)? You should be able to mount almost any year to any mount.I have mounted alot of years to alot of racks and never found it couldnt be done.When i say alot lets say more than 2..LOL..
When ever you buy a box make sure it has the steal plate in the inside bottom...Dont know why guys take them out and dont put them back in but it is very important for strength of box.
If you find one thats YOUR COLOR and in good shape and price range jump on it!! You will be saving 3-4hun to get a quallity paint job.To do it right its alot of work...AND good work dont come cheap!!!
Also look at the price of a new rack,backrest pad,liner,speakers,..all adds up..If you find a good used box with these options for a good price thats also a plus.
Good Luck...

Quick Reply: King Tour Pack Question