Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Back to the OEM Horn

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had air horns in the past. They are nice an loud, but they are fickle and can fail as many have experienced. The compressors are designed to run vertical. When you start using them off vertical, they become unreliable.

On my 2010 Ultra, I decided to stay with electric. I trashed the HD roadrunner beep beep horn. Then I purchased a high tone and low tone highway blaster from an auto parts store. One of them fit perfectly under the stock horn cover. I mounted the other horn behind the rear cylinder on the flat piece of metal between the frame tubes that separates the engine compartment from the ECM/battery compartment. There was already a vacant hole in this plat so I used a bolt to mount the other horn there. Then I made up a wiring harness, used an automotive relay, and key the relay with voltage tapped from the original horn supply wires.

So when I blow my horn now, I have both hi and lo tones going at the same time. It's loud and sounds like a car horn. It's been that way for 3 years now, and still going strong. The horn cost is minimal, the relay is cheap, and the wiring is too easy. Good alternative to the air horn and the cagers can hear you.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

There is a phillips head screw on the back of the stock horn. I have seen it called a "tuning screw" but it doesn't change the frequency much, but it will adjust the horn volume. Turn the screw a little one way, if the horn gets softer, go the other way,if it gets louder keep turning in that direction until you like the volume or the horn quits working. Then turn the screw back a little and see if the max loudness is loud enough for you. My 08 horn was noticeably less loud than the one on my son's 11. I adjusted mine and now they are about the same.

Also, other forums have listed a NAPA replacement horn which is reported as being extremely loud and it fits under the standard cover. A Google search should retrieve that info if you are interested.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Horn???? They are just extra weight to slow ya down. I'm really not sure I even have one under that cover?? Could someone explain what ya use them for?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I've never blown my horn except during scheduled maintenance checks. A horn is a passive device and requires whatever is causing the danger to act/react. As a rule, I use the brakes, throttle and steering to avoid conflict. In some instances, putting a DMFer on notice that they're about to kill you makes them do even dumber sh*t.

Now if your talking about tootin the horn to wrangle up a gal to throw on the back, thats a horse of another color

Should be nothing but an unplug and plug install.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Interesting how a horn install/remove/install inquiry morphs into a "what is a horn" or "I don't use a horn" philosophical bunch of useless irrelevant horse ****.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Interesting how a horn install/remove/install inquiry morphs into a "what is a horn" or "I don't use a horn" philosophical bunch of useless irrelevant horse ****.
Dude its winter, projected irrelevant philosophical horse **** is the natural prodouct of all those countless summertime hours in the saddle when you explore the chasms of your own mind in a trance with the scenery whipping by, wind in your face, and low drone of exhaust in the background, If not properly evacuated it can develop into something unheathy, possibly even dangerous. Let your demons out occasionally, or they will destroy you. Just sayin. Its just a horn thread, not like we bastardized an exhaust thread or something important and sacred like oil or tuning.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Dude its winter, projected irrelevant philosophical horse **** is the natural prodouct of all those countless summertime hours in the saddle when you explore the chasms of your own mind in a trance with the scenery whipping by, wind in your face, and low drone of exhaust in the background, If not properly evacuated it can develop into something unheathy, possibly even dangerous. Let your demons out occasionally, or they will destroy you. Just sayin. Its just a horn thread, not like we bastardized an exhaust thread or something important and sacred like oil or tuning.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
What are you mad about? There ain't no snow outside YOUR house But, that irrelevent horse **** DID raise your heart rate a little, so count that as some exercise that most folks endevour to do after New Years.

Anger is like drinking poison hoping somebody else will die

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I like my stock horn and use it. It is especially useful for the arseholes that pull in front of you like they do not see you, when I pull up next to them and lay on the horn to get their attention and ask if they see me now then 1 finger salute them. One thing good about California is lanesplitting so if while in town someone does pull in front of me without seein or just not caring I usually have the opportunity to split the lanes and pull up next to them ad have a nice chat about their failed attempt at murder. Fun stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oem horns tend to not work when they are wet. wolo mini air horn same size as stock.

Quick Reply: Switching Back to the OEM Horn