Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Chill Factor Chart

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
ranran4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the forecasters, its going to be @ 70+ degrees here this weekend (January in southwestern VA).

Plan to put this to the test! Thanks for the information!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Wind Chill factor is the most meaningless BS by the weathermen probably to cover up their less than 50% accurate forecasts.

The theory is based on the fact that in no wind the exposed skin builds up a layer of heated air close to the skin from body heat. It is blown away with the wind. So what is the true case is with the wind one feels the actual temperature.

The guy that came up with the formula was backward. With no wind one feels warmer than the actual temp. With the wind one feels the exact temp not colder temps.

Place a pan of water in the 35 degree weather with the 55 mph and supposedly 11 degree wind chill temp. Will it freeze? Hell no as it is 35 degrees not 11.

Since no one that I have ever seen rides in winter weather without apparel on, the wind chill factor is moot.

If you are riding in cold weather dress for the true temp and select riding apparel that prevents wind infiltration.

In the next few days we are going to have mid thirties temps here in NW Illinois and I will be riding dressed for mid thirties and not 11 as that would make me sweat and be uncomfortable.

To repeat: the wind chill factor is a waste of time and total BS.
LOL. Its a visual indicator to keep powderpuffs and cupcakes from riding in shorts and T-shirts and tennies and whining about how they want to go back home cause its too cold because of the four P's (pi$$ poor prior planning). its what we've transgressed into, kinda like stamping "pointing the barrel of this gun at anyone may result in injury" on pistols and arguing over portion sizes on food products to keep air heads from getting too fat...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
I just did 140 miles at speeds of around 70mph at temp 40f, my knees feel frozen solid, I need some heated gear.
Lower fairings will help, as will chaps or lined jeans (felt or flannel). With one or more of these you may not need heated pants. I'm cold-natured and am fine with the lined jeans and lowers. Heated gloves are a must for me on long rides when temps go below 50°, however.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM
chinookman
Cruiser

I went for a ride today and according to this chart it was -7. It was 30 degrees and I was riding around 50. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. I was just wearing regular jeans, hooded sweatshirt, leather jacket, gloves, small neoprene face mask, and a beanie under a novelty helmet. It was cold but definitely worth it. Hasn't really gotten above 35 here in the last month and the roads were dry today so I went for it.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM
mcman
Cruiser

Sometimes one has to suffer a little in order to get on the bike. It's worth it to me.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 AM
IHC67
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I think the wind chill is only relevant if you are riding nekkid.
hahaha...we did this about a week and a half ago...We did a Polar Bear run, it was about 35 outside, a group of about 30 of us went out it just our skivvies. The ol' lady went with too...actually there were about 5 or 6 women that went along. It was actually a lot of fun and mad for some great laughs. It was a three mile ride. We hit speeds of 60 mph, so it did get a bit chilly.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
mcman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IHC67
hahaha...we did this about a week and a half ago...We did a Polar Bear run, it was about 35 outside, a group of about 30 of us went out it just our skivvies. The ol' lady went with too...actually there were about 5 or 6 women that went along. It was actually a lot of fun and mad for some great laughs. It was a three mile ride. We hit speeds of 60 mph, so it did get a bit chilly.
What did the girls have on? Could have been interesting!!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
IHC67
Tourer

Originally Posted by mcman
What did the girls have on? Could have been interesting!!
was very interesting...just their skivvies...

Attached Thumbnails Wind Chill Factor Chart-2013-01-05-polar-bear-run-35-deg-f.jpg   Wind Chill Factor Chart-20.jpg   Wind Chill Factor Chart-2.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IHC67
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming excessive alcohol was involved when the plan was hatched, matched only by outrageous masculine bravado when the plan was implemented!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
mcman
Cruiser

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to have to go with sgdiesel. Had to be some, if not a lot, of alcohol involved when this plan was hatched. Ya'll are some brave souls, I'll say that for you.

Quick Reply: Wind Chill Factor Chart