Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Chill Factor Chart

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wind chill is often misunderstood. It serves two purposes:

1. To provide an idea of how cold the air feels on exposed skin, and...
2. To give a general idea of how long it would take for frostbite to occur. Again, on exposed skin.

But unless you're riding naked or partially exposed, it doesn't really matter to a rider. Clothing and particularly warm winter gear effectively (from your skin's standpoint) eliminates wind chill and raises the perceived temperature. That's why you're warm--because the air next to your skin is kept warm by your body head, and the clothing holds that air in place.

Now, low temperatures outside and wind will still affect you since they both still carry heat away, but your gear lowers the rate at which this occurs.

The old system, which was a haphazard calculation based on personal experiences, was scrapped in 2001 and replaced with an improved system in Canada and the U.S. The new system approximates temperature for a human face, at the average level for a human face, in an open field, and walking into the wind at about 3 MPH. In other words, a worst-case scenario (erring on the side of caution) so that you know how long, at a minimum, it would take to get frostbite.

The old system also had a flaw where the calculation resulted in wind child temperature increasing once wind speeds go above ~90 KPH, which obviously does not make sense.

Last edited by Ovaltine Jenkins; 01-04-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff... Rode into work today with ambient temps at 21 degrees dipping to 18 at the station... Feet froze while my hands stayed toasty with my newly purchased Cycle Gear Hotwired gloves (which are a great bang for the buck)...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Wind chill is measured on bare skin right? What if you're wearing some really warm stuff? Does it still count as wind chill?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Wind chill is measured on bare skin right? What if you're wearing some really warm stuff? Does it still count as wind chill?
Its an evaluation of what a healthy human feels when:
- she/he's not tired
- she/he's not anxious
- she/he's got a steady heart beat
- she/he's in the middle of a normal digestive cycle
- she/he simply feels well or is in good company

Once these preliminary conditions are met, you can go out in the nude and test the wind chill effect. A simple tee shirt changes the way we react to temperature, so really warm stuff is simply warm

Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Wind chill is often misunderstood. It serves two purposes:

1. To provide an idea of how cold the air feels on exposed skin, and...
2. To give a general idea of how long it would take for frostbite to occur. Again, on exposed skin.

But unless you're riding naked or partially exposed, it doesn't really matter to a rider. Clothing and particularly warm winter gear effectively (from your skin's standpoint) eliminates wind chill and raises the perceived temperature. That's why you're warm--because the air next to your skin is kept warm by your body head, and the clothing holds that air in place.

Now, low temperatures outside and wind will still affect you since they both still carry heat away, but your gear lowers the rate at which this occurs.

The old system, which was a haphazard calculation based on personal experiences, was scrapped in 2001 and replaced with an improved system in Canada and the U.S. The new system approximates temperature for a human face, at the average level for a human face, in an open field, and walking into the wind at about 3 MPH. In other words, a worst-case scenario (erring on the side of caution) so that you know how long, at a minimum, it would take to get frostbite.

The old system also had a flaw where the calculation resulted in wind child temperature increasing once wind speeds go above ~90 KPH, which obviously does not make sense.

you mean if i have a gallon of milk and its 50 degrees outside I cant ride at 70 mph and have ice cream when I get home???
I guess I'll just dress in layers with a windproof/waterproof shell, cold weather boots and gloves and throw the wind chill charts away and just ride then....LOL

Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Someone needs to combine that chart with a chart of how long it takes to chill beer to the optimum temperature.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Someone needs to combine that chart with a chart of how long it takes to chill beer to the optimum temperature.
From where I live, on a day like today it will take about 3 minutes if you ride at 75 mph - at least according to my calculations.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to get the bike out today. It wasn't that cold (49-50degrees) and I was only riding about 55mph but I still got rather chilled. Maybe I'm not quite as young as I used to be. It worth it to get on my Ultra though.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Wind Chill factor is the most meaningless BS by the weathermen probably to cover up their less than 50% accurate forecasts.

The theory is based on the fact that in no wind the exposed skin builds up a layer of heated air close to the skin from body heat. It is blown away with the wind. So what is the true case is with the wind one feels the actual temperature.

The guy that came up with the formula was backward. With no wind one feels warmer than the actual temp. With the wind one feels the exact temp not colder temps.

Place a pan of water in the 35 degree weather with the 55 mph and supposedly 11 degree wind chill temp. Will it freeze? Hell no as it is 35 degrees not 11.

Since no one that I have ever seen rides in winter weather without apparel on, the wind chill factor is moot.

If you are riding in cold weather dress for the true temp and select riding apparel that prevents wind infiltration.

In the next few days we are going to have mid thirties temps here in NW Illinois and I will be riding dressed for mid thirties and not 11 as that would make me sweat and be uncomfortable.

To repeat: the wind chill factor is a waste of time and total BS.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very informative. It's interesting that the chill effect inverts itself above 90 degrees. Thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: Wind Chill Factor Chart