Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOES MY DEALER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKInG ABOUT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
justincollins1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOES MY DEALER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKInG ABOUT

I took my bike to the dealer about a possible exhaust leak and all they did was start the bike, put their hand close and listen. Should I trust them when they say they are not one only by doing what they did. I think there is one bc there is carbon built up on my right muffler but not the left

Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by justincollins1
Should I trust them when they say they are not one only by doing what they did.
Not sure I understand your question, but it is quite common to "feel" exhaust blow by to find an exhaust leak.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

When you say "there is carbon built up on my right muffler but not the left" are you talking about inside the mufflers?
(Looking at them from the rear)

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

a dealer tech uses book learning and practical experience.

for instance, while I do not smoke, I keep a couple of smokes in the tool box to check for exhaust leaks- a leak will interrupt the smoke from the tip of the smoke.

it is very much a trust situation- do not be afraid to ask questions, and if the answer makes sense, you are that much smarter...

DO be aware that the guy at the counter is called a "service writer" this is a COMMISSION position, the more parts or services they sell you, the more they make.

Techs are paid a flat fee for each service performed and each service is billed to you at a standardized "time rate". If the tech can do the job in 1/2 the suggested time, he can make more income, if he takes twice the time then not.

leaks tests should be performed with the system cold and again at operating temperature to ensure that the part mate evenly when they expand with heat.

on a stock type exhaust system, the right muffler carries more exhaust than the left, so you will see more soot on the right side.

If running a 'true dual" system, more soot on one side would likely indicate an overly rich mixture or leaking valve guides or piston ring wear

soot you can wipe off with a finger- 'carbon" build up is a hard deposit which needs work to remove-it can hard as rock

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justincollins1
I took my bike to the dealer about a possible exhaust leak and all they did was start the bike, put their hand close and listen. Should I trust them when they say they are not one only by doing what they did. I think there is one bc there is carbon built up on my right muffler but not the left
Yes, i'd say that's the usual method of checking for an exhaust leak. Just because one of your cylinders is running richer than the other doesn't mean you have an exhaust leak. Could be many things...from improper tuning to bad rings.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

If you have stock pipes I would say that is normal for one side to have more sut then the other. Much easier exhaust path on the right side.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
omaho5
Road Master

Shucks, My 2012 RK has all the soot on the left exhaust...everything stock, go figure !!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not completely correct. It must depend on the dealership. Our service writers are not commission, they are paid hourly. Our techs are also hourly, kind of.
Originally Posted by mkguitar
a dealer tech uses book learning and practical experience.

for instance, while I do not smoke, I keep a couple of smokes in the tool box to check for exhaust leaks- a leak will interrupt the smoke from the tip of the smoke.

it is very much a trust situation- do not be afraid to ask questions, and if the answer makes sense, you are that much smarter...

DO be aware that the guy at the counter is called a "service writer" this is a COMMISSION position, the more parts or services they sell you, the more they make.

Techs are paid a flat fee for each service performed and each service is billed to you at a standardized "time rate". If the tech can do the job in 1/2 the suggested time, he can make more income, if he takes twice the time then not.

leaks tests should be performed with the system cold and again at operating temperature to ensure that the part mate evenly when they expand with heat.

on a stock type exhaust system, the right muffler carries more exhaust than the left, so you will see more soot on the right side.

If running a 'true dual" system, more soot on one side would likely indicate an overly rich mixture or leaking valve guides or piston ring wear

soot you can wipe off with a finger- 'carbon" build up is a hard deposit which needs work to remove-it can hard as rock

Mike

Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
This is not completely correct. It must depend on the dealership. Our service writers are not commission, they are paid hourly. Our techs are also hourly, kind of.
You are one of the few If not the only dealership that does things that way. I've worked in dealerships all my life, always on commission.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
justincollins1
Advanced

I only have slip ons, so is the soot in the right muffler normal.

Quick Reply: DOES MY DEALER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKInG ABOUT