Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jury Still Out on the Apes :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jury Still Out on the Apes :(

I put 16" Carlini Gangsters on my scoot in July and just haven't got used to them like I thought I was going to. I ran HD beach bars for 2 years and swapped to the apes because of lower back pain after about 100 miles of riding per day. Today was the first day I've ridden in about 2 months due to shoulder surgery and first cold day I've ridden this season. I realized that the circulation in my hands sucked being up on the bars. I had my winter gloves on and my hands were cold as hell all day long. I only did 50-60 miles today and by the time I got home, I was pretty much over it just because I couldn't feel my hands. Granted, it was 58-60 here which is cool by so cal standards, but I've ridden in colder and gone farther with no hand issues and in the same gloves I wore today.

I dig the maneuverability at low speeds and the look, but being a dirt bike rider for the last 30 years, I'm used to my hands and arms being down. I'm 6' 3" and my hands are level with my shoulders on the bike. Aside from the circulation issues, I just don't feel like I have the control on the bike that I had with my beach bars.

Has anyone run into this with apes and swapped them back? Granted, I've only got about 4 months ride time on them after having to take a break from riding due to surgery, but after today, I am questioning my decision.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

The factors you point out ( and the fact that the arms would channel air into the chest) are some of the reasons that I don't own a bike with apes.

ridden some with, but not for long

it really is a taste, comfort thing. Not for me.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-02-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

theyre not for everyone...beach bars to 16" apes is a large change

Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. I am 6'4" and it seems that apes would be a good upgrade, but between losing the protection of the fairing and the fact that 75% of my riding is technical back roads, I'm not willing to take a chance that apes might lower my ability to throw the bike in and out of curves. I think you may be the first person to admit this, but many share your concerns....

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

apes are just fine for technical maneuvers if youre used to it.

but we all know that shorter bars make the bike easier to control

Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
I agree. I am 6'4" and it seems that apes would be a good upgrade, but between losing the protection of the fairing and the fact that 75% of my riding is technical back roads, I'm not willing to take a chance that apes might lower my ability to throw the bike in and out of curves. I think you may be the first person to admit this, but many share your concerns....
you are wrong on control on technical roads , personal comfort is another thing , I go to North Carolina regularly and carve up some very technical roads , I went to apes years ago and can assure you I am just as fast and in control as before , most guys that have control issues it is from their lack of ability , as far as comfort I went to apes because of lower back surgery and it helped solve that , however it bothered my shoulders at first til I got use to it , if you had shoulder surgery higher is not the way to go , you want lower with correct pullback for your reach

Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give them a bit more time. If it still sucks for you, then start looking at other options. It would be a step backwards in terms of looks for your bike, but I've lucked out with the Heritage-style bars on mine.

To save your cables, you may want to try a lower ape.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From beach bars to 16" apes, that is enough to send someone into shock.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, i too have been on the fence about changing bars for hand / arm related reasons and my shoulders are not the best, so I can relate to the OP's issue.

I was quoted about $1,400 by the HD dealer to do WO515 bars, and even if the OP got his bars done for less or did the bar swap himself, I can empathize with the fact that he went to correct an issue so riding is more comfortable and it does not seem to be happening.

Options? Maybe something like a WO 515 bar those are 3" taller than factory RKC bars which would be 10" rise approx. I sat on a bike with beach bars, but i did not find them comfortable.

Best of luck to the OP and hope you can get a set of bars that allow a good comfort.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not a fan of apes but bought my RK with 16" apes thinking I'd change them. I really don't hate them enough to change them? Mostly because they do look good on that bike and they aren't really uncomfortable. Anyone that believes they offer better control is fooling themselves (don't see any at the track). Racers talk about "getting up on the bars" for a reason and it's impossible with apes. If your bars are uncomfortable and/or painful, change them. Just isn't worth puttin up with to me. Hate to count all the bars I've gone through...

Quick Reply: Jury Still Out on the Apes :(