Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jury Still Out on the Apes :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I agree you need to wait until you recover more from your surgery.

If you were trying to solve your lower back pain problem a Driver's Backrest is the best option.
I've had stock bars, wide bars and now apes and the only thing that stops lower back pain is a back rest.
Back rest?!? Aren't those for old guys?!? Oh ****, wait......hmmmmm....still in denial here!! LMAO!!

I know you're right about the surgery recovery. I have no patience for recovery!! I bought the bike 3 years ago used and actually took my sling off (from having the other shoulder done) to ride it home!! Not my finest hour....but I wanted that bike and was pulling off a hell of a deal. No way I was letting it out of my sight!! I didn't want the seller to change his mind!! LOL!!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Thats a big difference from beach bars to 16's. Maube try like a 10" to where you get just a little higher than stock. This is the way I went with for more of a relaxed position and to keep my hands behind the fairing

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
StCRider
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Back rest?!? Aren't those for old guys?!? Oh ****, wait......hmmmmm....still in denial here!! LMAO!!
After reading all the posts, mostly which were good ones, I agree with the two which recommended a backrest.

I had Heritage bars and was quite happy with them. The more I chromed the bike, the more noticeable the yellow tinge of the SS bars became.

Road Kings owners usually gravitate toward Ape Hangers or Beach Bars. I preferred the Apes and went with 16" (6'3" 35 inch). When I first held them up, I thought, oh ****, these are way too tall! But I gave them a season and they do take getting used to. You mentioned "on top of the bars" and I get that. I had it with my Heritage bars and liked it, leaned forward.

The apes change your sitting/riding position, the backrest is your friend. I dig my apes and as others have stated, I can take it PLENTY fast on the twisties.

I'd try it another season.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

**UPDATE** Well I took some advice here and first, got glove liners, and second, pulled my bars back. I rode yesterday and today and it seemed to be better. I'm still having shoulder pain, but that's just the healing process that I have no patience for. LOL!! The glove liners seemed to help but I know I have poor circulation in my hands, so that's something I will have to live with too during cold rides. I'm going to give the apes some more time and see what happens.

Now......a backrest. Hmmmm......

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the fence between 14 and 16 apes for my 2011 RKC, everytime I think I am pulling the trigger on the 16's I read what my forum friends say and get some doubts... decisions...decisions...

Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
speadfreak1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 13 Cyclesmiths, rode to Sturgis (4000 round trip) and took them off as soon as I arrived home. I loved my apes on my Shovel's over the years but absolutely hated them on my bagger.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

**UPDATE** Well I took some advice here and first, got glove liners, and second, pulled my bars back. I rode yesterday and today and it seemed to be better. I'm still having shoulder pain, but that's just the healing process that I have no patience for. LOL!! The glove liners seemed to help but I know I have poor circulation in my hands, so that's something I will have to live with too during cold rides. I'm going to give the apes some more time and see what happens.

glad youre giving it some time. good luck with the healing.

im putting some 14" torch bars on (had the 12" monkeys). the monkeys werent tall enough and the position aggravated a pinched nerve in my upper back.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I just went over four peaks of the Alps with three buddies. All of us are rocking 16" apes of different makes.
Nothing but the sharpest of dog leg and hair pin turns.
Any talk of Apes not working well on "technical roads" is crap.
While they may not improve, they by no means hinder.
It all lands on the rider and their level of riding...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

RaceFace glad to hear you're back on the road. Yes a backrest! It a allows any of your "leaning back" weight to be placed onto your back vs your arms amd shoulders. Now, you're holding yourself up by gripping and pulling on the bars. With a backrest that's gone and your hands are just simply rest on your bars while the backrest does all the work. Get a backrest on there and give it one hard acceleration - you'll know what I mean

Pick one up of eBay - if you don't like it you won't lose any coin.

Ride safe.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jay24601
I just went over four peaks of the Alps with three buddies. All of us are rocking 16" apes of different makes.
Nothing but the sharpest of dog leg and hair pin turns.
Any talk of Apes not working well on "technical roads" is crap.
While they may not improve, they by no means hinder.
It all lands on the rider and their level of riding...
****ing BEAUTIFUL bike man. very well put together

Quick Reply: Jury Still Out on the Apes :(