Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jury Still Out on the Apes :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't and can't ride without apes. I'm 6-9, and the stock bars hit my knees in sharp turns. I can't remmember the last bike I didn't have apes on, and I'm 66 year old and have been riding scoots sence I was a kid. I have shoulder and back problems and love my 16" apes, but with that said, they're not for everyone. I think a back rest is a must. I ride from Houston to Daytona (1100 miles) every year without any problems at all.

Good luck in your quest for comfort.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Oldhippie is right about not seeing any touring bikes with ape hangers at the track....then again I haven't seen any touring bikes with beach bars or drag bars at the track either. For me personally I also went from wild one beach bars to apes and it felt like I added power steering. I would definately try pushing them forward or pulling them back to see if that helps. Dont think it will help with the cold issue, but look at the bright side your hands will stay cooler in the hot So Cal summers.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have apes as well and thought it was a big mistake due to the arm/shoulder pain I had. Most push the bars far ahead to get your hands/arms up high. For me, moving them back one inch solved the discomfort totally. You will have a more enjoyable ride if your arms are not locked, you need a bend at your elbows, IMO. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tall too, but just can't imagine 16s. When I do my bars in February(ish) I'll probably do 10s or 12s not sure yet.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have stated, try pulling them back a little, might help, can't hurt. Very nice bike by the way, when i grow up, i'm gonna have an aped up Road King.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 5'7" and the 13" Ganster apes are perfect. i had the stock bars for my RKC 07.

I had apes before i purchased this RKC. In the beginning i felt like the low bars were like pushing a wheelbarrow. Apes put my mirrors at eye level don't have to look down.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still wanting to put 16's on my RK as soon as finances allow. This was my goal when I bought the bike and still is. Just fuggin hate these stock bars! Get ahold of me raceface if you wanna sell yer stuff. I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad I threw this thread up!! I think I will try pulling the bars back this weekend and get a little more bend in my elbows and see what happens. Now.....what are these "glove liners" that were mentioned?? I think I'll give those a shot too!!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree you need to wait until you recover more from your surgery.

If you were trying to solve your lower back pain problem a Driver's Backrest is the best option.
I've had stock bars, wide bars and now apes and the only thing that stops lower back pain is a back rest.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Quick Reply: Jury Still Out on the Apes :(