Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loosing gas millage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM
hkshooper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing gas millage

i have an 06 street glide i took it in to shop cause it had a check engine lite on and ever since that my gas millage has gotten worse and worse the bike is running great still and iv done a tune up and nothing is making it better its just getting worse

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

What did the shop say they got for a code on the CEL?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How cold is it where you live? The colder it gets the worse your gas mileage is going to be. It will drop by 6 or 7 mpg during the winter. Are you sure you have a problem?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM
hkshooper
Novice

The shop said it was a loos spark plug wire wich I think us total bull cause I checked wires and check engine would turn off every once and a wile and I live in houstonTexas and I was gettin almost 200 to a tank now it's gone down and Down its about 130
The plugs look clean

Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
The colder it gets the worse your gas mileage is going to be.

that's a new one to me.

many areas will switch to a "winter blend" additive package which may drop mileage 3% to 6%

but I think not related to OP's problem.

OP, you said you did a 'tune up"- what did you do ?

mike

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
hkshooper
Novice

Just oil plugs trans fluid checked primary chain and new upgrade filter

Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM
hkshooper
Novice

I build motors for a living and this just sed weard like maybe an injector is leaking but it isn't running any different only thing it does some times is at low throttle it will chough out intake oil pressure hasn't changed and doesn't puff smoke so don't think motor is hurt

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Darth Vader
Road Master

I have an 06 also and have lost 5 mpg in the last year, changed plugs, air filter and fluids, I have noticed and don't know why but when I was riding in Kentucky last summer my bike got better (normal) gas mileage, something is different in the Tennessee fuel and Kentucky fuel.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
How cold is it where you live? The colder it gets the worse your gas mileage is going to be. It will drop by 6 or 7 mpg during the winter. Are you sure you have a problem?
I rode late (for me ) into the season this year . Last ride was Dec. 24th. Coincidently with riding into the cold weather I did some work on the bike that included a re-tune. Bike ran fine but I did perceive a drop in mileage . I have put the bike to bed for the winter with the idea of documenting my mileage next spring and depending on the results bring it to the attention of my dealer . I must admit it has been on my mind a little but your post could be a possible explanation . It will be interesting to see what happens to my mpg with the arrival of warmer temperatures next spring . Thanks .

Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
hkshooper
Novice

it doesnt make since to me cause if it was a messed up injector or something the bike would run like crap its lost so much now im concerned with it not sure what it could be i guess ill have to call the dealer

Quick Reply: loosing gas millage