Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on my toes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM
bowtiepwr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on my toes...

Hello,
I have a 2013 H-D Street Glide and being short 5' 6" I'm on my toes while seated... Do you guys recommend going with the reduced reach seat, or the progressive lowering suspension?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

Taller boots, corbin seat.
Logger type boots give you about an inch over reg boots. I'd try that first.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Send your stock seat to MCC and have them rework it. Send your shocks to bitchin baggers and have them reworked. Drop the front 1 inch. This will make you flat footed I know I did it.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

what you need is a narrower seat I modified my stock seat just to get by while I figured things out I simply cut some foam off sides and re stapled it. In the end I lowered front about 1 inch and I like the mustang day tripper seat and I have modified a second mustang seat with back rest for travel.

I do not recommend the reduced reach seat I tried it did not like it. The worst seat I have ever tried had to beg them to take it back. The short story look at front end lowering just bring front down to level look into seat options boots are nice but you do not need platform boots LoL. and by the way I am 5-4 1/2

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately do the Progressive lowering kit, that will help a ton, taller boots as mentioned, and check out Mean City Cycles seat tweaks before you buy a new seat, much cheaper to try first. They have several options you can choose from if your on the shorter side or bigger side, some lower the rider up to 3".

**NEW** Super Narrow - $135

(Note: For stock Harley Davidson Touring bike seats 2011-2012)
We reshape the sitting area of the seat to lower the ride height as much as possible and change the foam to Memory foam in the driver's sitting area. We narrow the seat pan where your legs go down so that the seat doesn't keep your legs spread apart as much and this really helps get your feet on the ground a lot better. (With this modification we can lower the riding position or keep it stock height. We can move the riding position forward or back or maintain the current front to back sitting position.)

• Note: For stock Harley Davidson Touring bike seats 2011-2012
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index....ory&Itemid=226

Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Redcar England.
Ride like the wind and never stop to put your feet down lol.
There are lots of riders that are not tall, I think people just manage as they get used to a bike. Seat sounds a good idea but if you drop the back end things will catch sooner its a trade off. Should be ok either way.
Good luck with the bike.
tbone

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd try the Progressive lowering kit first. May as well do the Monotubes with a 1" to 2" drop.

If that don't do it, I'd try some 11" shocks from Progressive. The seat would be the LAST thing I'd change. I had MCC do my seat twice and it is still less comfortable than it was when I took it in the first time. The HD Reach seat is really uncomfortable for any distance and it pushes you up on the tank where your knees are damn near hitting the bars. The Corbin seat may be an option since they are lower and can be narrower.

But.....I'm 5'6 and have Ohlins 3-3's on the back. I'm tippy toeing when solo, but when the wife gets on I can flat foot in riding boots.

When tire time comes, I'm gonna look for some lower profile tires.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,997 Likes on 4,188 Posts

More spread the better. My short friend has dropped his Roadking 3 times till he just gave up and got a Softail since he could in his mind get it lower. Not sure about that. I am 6'3" and been thankful many times. I know I would have been on the ground many a time since once it gets over too far your leg spread offers more leverage then just strength alone can do.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have tried the Reach seat and loved it, although my wife hated it. I then got some big lace up logger type boots with a 2' heel. This solved the problem.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM
rossdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5' 4" and flat foot my Street Bob. I replaced the seat with a Le Pera barebones+pillon. I had the reduced reach seat first. I did not like it much myself. I have not done any lowering of shocks. The Le Pera seat looks good but is not the most comfortable on longer rides.

Quick Reply: on my toes...