Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....

This should probably go in some general place, but I'm gonna start here...

I've nick-named my bike the "Orange Blossom Special" cause I am a Johnny Cash nut. God Bless Johnny Cash.....

Anyway, thinkin about putting -Orange Blossom Special- on the back of my fender, kinda like these pics (used MS-Paint to play around),....

What would you guys suggest? Who has done something like this before? Pros/Cons??

I know if I do it permant with paint, I am killing the market of who would want it (resale). - But, it's a new bike, and I plan on keepin' this one a long time....

And as far as color... I'm thinkin about white words, maybe outlined in black (couldn't do that in the program)..... I'll take suggestions on that too :-)

Thanks gang......

Attached Thumbnails Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....-obs-1-a.jpg   Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....-obs-1.jpg   Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....-obs-2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When lettering the doors of our semis we had a local freehand painter paint our name and dot info on. It looks really good and if you want to take it off we have used easy off oven cleaner and with a little work it comes off. I think vinyl lettering would look good also. As on our semis that's what we use now because it seems like we are always changing the name on the doors for meeting new regulations.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

As they say... "Make it your own"!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a search for vinyl graphics and have them make it for you.. will be cheap, look good, and come off when you sell it.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Smitty79
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike, totally dig the color and the BR custom bars look great. I like the white lettering on that Tequila Sunrise. I also live in Houston and there's a painter on the east side in Pasadena named Milburn who does great work. His shop is on Shaver St. close to South Houston. He could free hand it for you and make it look sweet. He painted a buddy of mines Wide Glide and it's sick. I would go with paint. You're gonna keep it for a while and anyone interested in it when you try to sell it will probably thinks it's a cool nickname for the bike.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks!!

I was leaning towards decals, until smitty

Smitty, could you PM the painters info? Thanks. & thanks for the compliments. BR Customs are cool people, gonna order their meat hook crash bars and saddle bag guards when my leather bags sale.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty79
Nice bike, totally dig the color and the BR custom bars look great. I like the white lettering on that Tequila Sunrise. I also live in Houston and there's a painter on the east side in Pasadena named Milburn who does great work. His shop is on Shaver St. close to South Houston. He could free hand it for you and make it look sweet. He painted a buddy of mines Wide Glide and it's sick. I would go with paint. You're gonna keep it for a while and anyone interested in it when you try to sell it will probably thinks it's a cool nickname for the bike.
Is Mike still around? I went by his shop early this year and it was a ghosttown. If he's painting he's a good one, there's also Pygmy in LaMarque, and I heard Sonny Keaton is painting in Houston.

Had Pygmy do my Road King, very pleased, he's a meticulous, one man show. The paint is deep with a good wet look.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I would go with vinyl sticker. There are likely many shops around that can make you some, they are cheap and you can try different options. If you do not like it just peel it off, if you do like it then go see a painter.How much would it suck to have something painted on your bike only to decide it sucks and now you are stuck with it.? That is a really good looking bike too, I love that orange.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Hate to bust your bubble, but if you wanna be accurate--"Orange Blossom Special" was written & first performed by Ervin Rouse.

BTW What kinda pipes are those? Never seen any like 'em.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Pin striping can look real nice if done right, I vote for air brushing nothing looks nicer than good air brushed bike. As far as colors look at some silvers with some shadows. Either way it should look nice.good luck

Quick Reply: Paint? Decals? Air-brush?? What to do.....