Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Fairing Speakers Question

I upgraded my stock speakers in my 2009 Street Glide front fairing to the J&M 7.5" speakers with an amp, and I am very happy with the improvement. But I've been thinking about adding lower fairing speakers for quite some time. For Christmas, my girlfriend got me the HD Boom Audio Speakers for the lower fairings. I'd appreciate hearing from those that have these HD speakers or have compared them to other brands. Will these HD lower speakers enhance the sound quality/volume for both the rider and passenger or am I better off with another brand? Thanks.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
bent trix
Tourer

I'm not sure about the boom speakers. I have Rockford T3 in the wing and added Rockford T165 to the lowers. It is LOUD and clear, regardless of the speed or the amount of throttle. Sitting still it can be heard down the street. Nonetheless, I want to go bigger and louder, so I'm going to pull the PBR amp out of the fairing and use a JL to power the 4 front speakers and use the PBR with the 2 rear pods, which will power 2 T165's.

Almost forgot to add. The lower speakers were not plug and play. I had to modify the lower pod and speaker & cover to get them to work together. I did this before painting them.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Fairing Speakers Question-fairing.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Hogtune speakers in the fairing & lower fairings of my RG, along with their 4ch amp. Overall sound is way better than stock but dont think I'm hearing much from the lower speakers while riding. They sound great it the garage when I'm cleaning the bike though!

I wasnt looking for super loud, just crisp & clear while rollin down the road.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jmo

I have the J&M 7.25 speakers and their 250 watt amp in my Road Glide, had the J&M 5.25 in my tour pak speakers. I am now going to sell all the J&M components and go with Arc Audio & Focal speakers in the front and my lowers. I just think there are better options for the price I spent on the J&M's.... talk to Pete @ www.soundzcustomz.com and he can fix you up with whatever your budget will allow.

But everybody has their own opinion of what they like and how much they are willing to spend.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 204 Posts

Speakers in the rear either in the top of the bags or toupack speakers would be better for the passenger. My neighbor has boom all around with amp in his '10 Ultra. They sound pretty decent but I like the sound of the J&m's better.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I think the lower boom speakers are 1 ohm and are 5.25 in size. I don't know if that matters to you or not. The speakers in your fairing now are 2 ohm I believe. Not sure how they would wire in or if it matters.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not a fan of J&M or Boom stuff (price or performance) compared to other options. The J&m speakers are 2 ohm. The 5.25" lower boom speakers are also 2 ohm. Depending on what amp ya have or how you plan on hooking them up ya may have problems? For the boom price ya could get some cvo lower speaker boxes and quality 6.5 speakers. My lower speakers really fill out the sound down the road.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM
nivensid
Tourer
Default Lower fairing speakers

I had the Hogtunes system with their amp, sounded good but I wanted better. I now have the Focals 6.5 speakers in the fairing and in the CVO lowers also, pushing them is the PBR amp. I had the gain set to 7 for the fairing speakers with the gain set to 2 for the lowers all summer long and thought the lowers were not that noticeable. Today I had the fairing off to install the HD LED front turn signals and that is when I saw I had the gain set too low for the lowers. I turned it up to match the fairing speakers and man!!!! what a big improvement, now the lowers have come to life and sound awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Fairing Speakers Question-046-1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

That looks real nice nivensid. Thanks for clearing that up oldhippie. It must be the HD 6.5 speakers that were 1 ohm.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 AM
StanfordMan
Tourer

Thanks for the replies--especially the one about Ohlm differences. I need to research the compatibility of the lower fairing speakers with mynJ&M speakers in the front fairing.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairing Speakers Question